Which hunt app is best

luberhill

4 minutes ago, Happy 5-Shot said:

The property lines would all be similar on each app.  They are just tax maps digitized into a GIS.  Garbage in garbage out.  I am a licensed land surveyor and have seen tax maps GIS maps off a lot. My favorite saying is…

G get

I it

S surveyed

""No way I walked right up to the property corner and found. Those maps are good for a couple feet"" 

Other good one is"" oh your here for a boundary survey let me SHOW you where the pins are""  . Lol

6 minutes ago, Happy 5-Shot said:

The property lines would all be similar on each app.  They are just tax maps digitized into a GIS.  Garbage in garbage out.  I am a licensed land surveyor and have seen tax maps GIS maps off a lot. My favorite saying is…

G get

I it

S surveyed

Yea I get it but….. I don’t want to survey every property I’m interested in :)

9 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yea I get it but….. I don’t want to survey every property I’m interested in :)

I like onx. I have used it alot in NY and brought it to Montana and used it as my GPS. Worked great. Just have to keep it in your head you can be real close using the maps or 30 off in either direction. 

I use HuntStand and just like all the others the lines can be close but not exact. I had the land surveyed when i purchased it and I have plotted the survey markers on HuntStand. The lines are definitely different, but this probably has more to do with the accuracy of the phones GPS and the amount of cover. Most smart phone GPS' are only accurate to about a 15' radius if there are no obstructions. Once you add in thick tree cover that radius can increase quite a bit.

I like HuntStand for some of the other free features, Map and location sharing is great when you are out with other hunters, and you want to be sure you are not each other's line of fire. or if someone gets lost or just needs assistance getting a deer out.

I also like the "Track" feature that allows me to walk or ride a trail and accurately map it out. I have found that many times I was not where I thought I was.

Edited by Judoka95
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

I use HuntStand and just like all the others the lines can be close but not exact. I had the land surveyed when i purchased it and I have plotted the survey markers on HuntStand. The lines are definitely different, but this probably has more to do with the accuracy of the phones GPS and the amount of cover. Most smart phone GPS' are only accurate to about a 15' radius if there are no obstructions. Once you add in thick tree cover that radius can increase quite a bit.

I like HuntStand for some of the other free features, Map and location sharing is great when you are out with other hunters, and you want to be sure you are not each other's line of fire. or if someone gets lost or just needs assistance getting a deer out.

I also like the "Track" feature that allows me to walk or ride a trail and accurately map it out. I have found that many times I was not where I thought I was.

thanks - never used the track/trace feature.  when you mentioned it i looked it up.  Yeah that seems like it could be pretty handy!  thanks much . I use Huntstand all the time and have been very happy with it  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thanks - never used the track/trace feature.  when you mentioned it i looked it up.  Yeah that seems like it could be pretty handy!  thanks much . I use it Huntstand all the time and have been very happy with it  

I had track/trace feature turned on that weekend I followed your trolling pattern on the East end of Oneida.  

• Like 2

I recently got a schooling from a childhood best friend who works at NASA on propulsion efforts (literal rocket scientist I call her, lol). I wasn't aware that all of our GPS across the various networks and phones and hardware, use the same 29-30 satellites and the government sets the accuracy of said units, not to be differentiated by our own receiving/sending equipment. 

Anyhow, the government can adjust the accuracy of our GPS with a basic lightswitch. When the war in Ukraine began, the US throttled the accuracy of our GPS a bit - I forget the reason why she said but IIRC it had something to do with commercial use being accurate enough for military consumption on targets - but that most of what we see across apps, cars, etc. will largely be the same data from the same satellites. Where they may be gaps with phones is assisted GPS, which uses cell towers/data to help if within canopy or area where GPS cannot penetrate. That she said, can cause it to be off.

Apparently we have a government network of GPS satellites that are very accurate but with fewer satellites than comparative govt like China. She said the real tech capabilities were deployed with the terrorist guy who was eliminated on the second floor balcony with a drone strike and the damage was contained to his room not injuring others within the same house. She essentially told me that they can hit a practical postage stamp. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Where is that feature? Im struggling with HuntStand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Where is that feature? Im struggling with HuntStand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the "Map Editor" tab you will see an arrow with "Trace" under it.

I typically start by hitting the symbol that looks like crosshairs. This will show you your current location. then i hit Trace and start moving. when you are done it will ask you if you want to save the "trace".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1