Muzzle loader cost?

burmjohn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CVA did have some issues in 1995 and 1996 if I recall,that have gotten great reiviews with there new line of wolf,optima and accura guns.I think the optima and accura have the bergarra barrel.The CVA guru's might be able to shed some light.

TC makes nice ML's too,I would get the triumph or omega before I bought the impact.Randy Wakeman gave it a great review but others have not.I have yet to see it in person,but it looks nice in pictures I have seen.The price of 249ish and great from a American made product.

Gun broker has some nice used guns from time to time, H&R,austin and halleck,remington and sometimes even a WHITE.That would be my choice if I was getting another ML.Built like a tank.

Any of todays brands would be a great choice to hunt with.

the issues with cva awere like the issues with savage and t/c  operator error.  Randy Wakeman is a wannabe.  He gives good reviews to those who pay him fo rhis reviews. Look at his track record. H eworked for T/C they were great. He left went to avage they were great and t/c was junk.  CVA would not pay him for his reviews, so they were always junk.  He must be trying to get back in the good graces of T/C now

• 1 month later...

At the local shop the other night, I handled one of the impacts. I must say I was impressed.  259 dollars brand new.  I paid more than that jusr for a barrel for my encore.  It took all of us a while to figure out how to get it open. But when we did figure it out, it took a lot of pressure to get it to open the first time.  After that is was quite easy. Simple mechanism, well balanced and came up nice. I like the adjustable stock too.  I am still leary of the tight bores in the t/c, but if I were in the market, I would consider one.

I am still leary of the tight bores in the t/c, but if I were in the market, I would consider one.

What is this tight bore I keep hearing about in T/C's? I own a triumph and have shot my friends Omega and do not see any diff in the loadability of ethier. The only time I ever have problems is when I load up 150 grains of powder, all the unburned powder crud makes it difficult to load a 2nd slug without swabing. Dropping to 100 grains and getting a hotter 209 primer seems to fix the problem, and I can put down 2 or 3 before swabbing. With a clean barrell slugs go down almost effortlessly and seem a little loose to me so I shoot a few primers down the barrell to " dirty it up" a bit and the sabot grips a little better.

As far as price goes, if you think inlines are expensive you should look into having a flintlock built. Most people want up to 1500 for a plain jane flinter.

The parts for my 45. cal Vincent style percussion rifle were a tad over $700.00. Key word in that line was PARTS.

I have 2 of them, one in a .40 cal the other a .45

the stock for the 45 cost more than most import inlines.

T/C's are over priced

A 209 primer will lift the projectile off the powder/pellet before the powder burns.

Read the directions and warnings

and unless its a Savage ML10 using smokeless powder! CLEAN~CLEAN & CLEAN AGAIN !

Stay away from gimmicks , quick fixes

T/C's are over priced

A 209 primer will lift the projectile off the powder/pellet before the powder burns.

Yeah, T/C's are over priced but I try to stick to American made products with ease of use. And the triumph is the easiest Muzzleloader to load, shoot, and clean IMO of coarse. Cant beat a hand removable breach plug and break action and they are very acurate. But enough commercials heres an interesting article about primers I found the other day. Lots of good information.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html

T/C's are over priced

Yeah, T/C's are over priced but I try to stick to American made products with ease of use. And the triumph is the easiest Muzzleloader to load, shoot, and clean IMO of coarse. Cant beat a hand removable breach plug and break action and they are very acurate. But enough commercials heres an interesting article about primers I found the other day. Lots of good information.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html

WOW according to Wakeman ;Pure lead pancakes at low velocities, inhibiting penetration. 

What a crock of BS. I should have never looked ! These guys know about as much about ballistics as can be found in a book. I've shot dozen of deer and had that pure lead round ball pass right through.

You want to know about lead bullets and roundball? You better get a hold of some old books and read up.

My GOD comparing a pure copper bullet to lead  ::(  These guys and there professional opinions are going to kill lead bullet shooters. I can see the antis & EPA quoting the Wakeman's opinion's one day.

Like the HSUS quotes Joe Posetic[sp] and his Fair Game/Chance book.

I don't know why I looked at the links, guess it like a train wreck wanted to see the carnage.

Here's your choice:

Do you want to shoot,keep it affordable,and kill animals?

OR

Do you want to spend $20.00 on 15 bullets that will do the same thing using a .15c bullet will do. Dead is Dead

Like I always say practice & placement will get you more in the long run than expensive gadgets.

So true.  I mold pure lead 44 calibr round nose bullets I shoot in all my myuzzleloaders except the sidelock and flintlock I shoot round balls in.  I will take a lead proectile at 1500 fps over any jacketed bullet they ever made for muzzleloaders.

I have never made bullets but use to make my own sinkers....will have to start that again since you can't buy good lead ones anymore.

I use to get it from old fire rated doors. there is a sheet about an 1/8" thinck the whole size of the door inside them...just takes a little grinder work and there is a lot right there.

Speaking of costs, how about in gas finding just the supplies you need?

One shop is out of 777 unless your after magnum loads, but has powerbelts & 5050 P.

Dick's attached to any mall can't sell any powder at all.

Gander, can make a fortune selling excuses.

Well at least I got the cleaning & treatment supplies I need.

What are you guys using to help keep the pin hole in the breech plug clear?

• 1 year later...

i bought my cva optima blue and black with thumbhole stock 50 cal for 179.00 shipped from sportsmans guide 2 years ago . i use t7 loose powder 90 grains and 240 grain power belt aero tip . i've never had a problem with this setup 3" groups at 100 yrd . only killed 2 deer with it 1 at 180 yrds the other at around 70 yrds and both never took a step