Your favorite way to cook your bird ?

turkeyfeathers

Well for me its only been one bird so far.  But I breast it out and cut into strips and made fried turkey cutlet strips with a nice cold coors light.  After hunting ritual which is a carry over from the coors light bacon wrapped  back strap from deer  season.

So, does anyone actually pluck the feathers and roast it like a conventional Thanksgiving turkey, or isn't it done that way?

The first turkey I ever killed back in 1981 was plucked in the basement at home.  OMG..........OMG.........what a mistake THAT was. 

Did I mention that was the last turkey I ever plucked?

YMMV.............But if you're going to pluck one, do it on a windy day. :biggrin:

• Like 1

if you do the garbage can turkey make sure you burn the galvinization from the INSIDE of the garbage can. you have to make sure all the galvinize is off the metal on the inside as its toxic.  what we have done iin the past is roll up a bunch of newspapers and put them in the garbage can and lite them up, while its burning we toss in cardboard tomake the fire hotter. This is done until the can is really hot then we wash it out and check to see if its clean, if not repeat step one.

used to pluck them and cook like a conventional bird except we covered the bird with bacon.

now I breast them out, wash them off good and then put each half in a 1 gallon ziplick bag and put a full bottle of wishbone italian dressing in each bag. that goes in the freezer, when I take them out I put the bag in the fridge and thaw it.  once thawed I put the entire bag contents in the crock pot and add about 1/2 a drinking glass of water, turn on low and cook for 8-9 hours..   there is rarely anything left for leftovers!

we have done them the same way using sugar cure instead of italian dressing.

if you do the garbage can turkey make sure you burn the galvinization from the INSIDE of the garbage can. you have to make sure all the galvinize is off the metal on the inside as its toxic. what we have done iin the past is roll up a bunch of newspapers and put them in the garbage can and lite them up, while its burning we toss in cardboard tomake the fire hotter. This is done until the can is really hot then we wash it out and check to see if its clean, if not repeat step one.

used to pluck them and cook like a conventional bird except we covered the bird with bacon.

now I breast them out, wash them off good and then put each half in a 1 gallon ziplick bag and put a full bottle of wishbone italian dressing in each bag. that goes in the freezer, when I take them out I put the bag in the fridge and thaw it. once thawed I put the entire bag contents in the crock pot and add about 1/2 a drinking glass of water, turn on low and cook for 8-9 hours.. there is rarely anything left for leftovers!

we have done them the same way using sugar cure instead of italian dressing.

Yep forgot to add that you should burn a few fires in it first!

Youtube it. Basically set the bird on a stake, cover with a metal can and have charcoal around the outside bottom of can. Turns out pretty good

A friend did a store bought bird that way, a few years back at a cook out he had. It was great….

Never tried it myself though.

Did one last spring, and it ws amazing! Im used to deep frying, turkey soup, strips so this was nice to have a break from the norm. This year i got some jalapeno/butter injectable marinade for one hehe

Fillet the breast into thin cultlets. Place a slice of prosciutto (Orif cheap boilr ham) and swiss cheese on the cutlet and roll (use toothpicks to keep closed).  Drench in flour . Salt and pepper the cutlet.  In a pan melt butter and saute the cutlets.  When slightly browned add some white wine,chicken broth and  finely sliced mushrooms. Cover until done (Do not overcook.)  Serve with parsley buttered red potatoes.

Boil the thighs and legs making a great turley consumee. (Throw throw the drumsticks out) and chop the thighs to be made as a turkey salad. 

• Like 1