Chevy Avalanche

gfdeputy2

I have never owned one, but had a friend that did. I would say right around that year .It gave him 0 problems for 5 years. The best riding p/u /suv I've ever ridden in. We could drive 20 mph down this old logging rd that in a normal p/u we were limited to 5..lol

yeah thinking of that too Lawdwaz I need to go look at it

I was a mechanic for over 10 years so I know around here sometimes sitting is worse then having 100,000 miles onit

Years back I bought a 7 year old F-150 with only 30,000k on it. It was gorgeous. The owner went to Florida every winter and stored the truck here while he was gone. 

The thing fell apart right under me.  Beware.

• Like 1

It's not so much the mile in my opinion, it's the frequency with which it was started and/or drove around the block. If that thing went months without a key turn and then drove and then went months again with no action...I'd be leery at that price range. Those vehicles seem to fall apart. The weekly 10 or 25 miles? A little bit better to consider in my opinion.

I still don't think I'd pay that kind of money for a 12 yo vehicle.

Edited by phade

My buddy has a 2002 and loves it.  Still uses it reguarly with well over 100k and no major issues.  I agree that you need to have it checked over.  If it sat for long periods, seals dry out and crack resulting in leaks.  I doubt it was driven regularly with those few miles.

Just saw the price.  $16k is a ton for a 12 year old avalanche IMHO.

Edited by moog5050

My former hunting buddy bought a used F250 about eight years ago.  It was about ten years old, looked great, and had very low mileage on it.  It gave him nothing but problems from day one.  I'd be very leery of a car that age with such low mileage.

• Like 1

My buddy has a 2002 and loves it.  Still uses it reguarly with well over 100k and no major issues.  I agree that you need to have it checked over.  If it sat for long periods, seals dry out and crack resulting in leaks.  I doubt it was driven regularly with those few miles.

Just saw the price.  $16k is a ton for a 12 year old avalanche IMHO.

KBB dealer resale for my area was $15,000 for a 2002 & with only 6,000 miles it should be a little higher

as far as the Rubber (seals, Bushings ect) was my thought too will be the first thing I look at if I go to look at it

My issue around here are the F150's, Tundras Silverado's EXT cabs or Crew Cabs are stupid priced

most for $18,000 -$20,000 all have over 100,000 miles

& I just can't stand not having a truck may keep the Grand Prix + the Harley for good weather driving

I Hate Car shopping drives me nuts

KBB dealer resale for my area was $15,000 for a 2002 & with only 6,000 miles it should be a little higher

as far as the Rubber (seals, Bushings ect) was my thought too will be the first thing I look at if I go to look at it

My issue around here are the F150's, Tundras Silverado's EXT cabs or Crew Cabs are stupid priced

most for $18,000 -$20,000 all have over 100,000 miles

& I just can't stand not having a truck may keep the Grand Prix + the Harley for good weather driving

I Hate Car shopping drives me nuts

That surprises me, but I haven't researched it.  Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

That surprises me, but I haven't researched it.  Good luck with your decision.

problem with NH most think their stuff is gold

this is private sale which KBB lists at about $8,000 never understood why a dealer gets more

"Better off traveling to someplace like simmons-rockwell which sells vehicles pretty cheap as long as you don't have a trade-in situation."

closest one looks like 8 hours from me & I would have to pay the tax on it not sure how much that would be

Edited by gfdeputy2

Ok, my mother in laws boyfriend had one of these since it was brand new and just sold it a few months ago for $7000 and I know it had about 120,000 miles on it. There are a few problems with these. His ate brakes both front and back like they where going out of style, also after some time the odds of the dash shift selector going out is pretty good. There also was a problem with the heads on these avalanches straight from the factory. They only way to tell was to take the valve covers off to find out casting numbers are on the heads.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/148