Chevy Avalanche

gfdeputy2

Looked to me his post asked if anyone owned an Avalanche and if there were a any issues. While not a 2002 I did own a loaded 2005 and advised him it was a good vehicle with no issues. Seems a pretty fair response to me. Thanks for the input though bud.

I bet it was but that has nothing to do with this thread. The OP question relates to a very different situation that these vehicles are not designed for.

They put a couple different motors in there, didn't they? If so, I would think that both motor types wouldn't be impacted by the same factory issues.

I think one option was a monster of a towing motor.

Yeah my buddy has a 3/4 ton Avalanche with the "monster towing motor" 6.0L IIRC. Tows like crap. My 1/2 ton tows better than his Avalanche does, no exaggeration. I towed the same size camper with my truck, on the same route, big difference.

He has had every power window motor swapped out in it twice, the instrument cluster went out on it a couple of times, his has always had brake issues and had the master cylinder go on it. Im not sure if the truck has 100k on it yet.

I wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot pole, especially one that has been sitting around like that one. You know why it has new tires, right? They dry rotted from sitting. You can expect the same from other things as well.

JMO

Yeah my buddy has a 3/4 ton Avalanche with the "monster towing motor" 6.0L IIRC. Tows like crap. My 1/2 ton tows better than his Avalanche does, no exaggeration. I towed the same size camper with my truck, on the same route, big difference.

He has had every power window motor swapped out in it twice, the instrument cluster went out on it a couple of times, his has always had brake issues and had the master cylinder go on it. Im not sure if the truck has 100k on it yet.

I wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot pole, especially one that has been sitting around like that one. You know why it has new tires, right? They dry rotted from sitting. You can expect the same from other things as well.

JMO

Easy there Mopar Mad Man............................. :bye:

My 2002 Chevy Silverado was a window motor eater too.  I replaced 4 IIRC.  Front wheel hubs?  You wouldn't believe it.

Brakes?  How about three times for front and rear, pads & rotors.  One the dealer paid for and two out of my pocket.  125K on it IIRC when I traded it on the Tacoma.

• Like 1

Shoot. I've been a Dodge person all my life.

I won't be when the Dakota drops dead. After that thing, I don't want to even look at another Dodge.

I'm going on my fourth set of control arms (and probably ball joints) on the passenger side at 135k. The suspension problems this truck has is insane - ball joints, control arms, shocks, bushings, so on. Never been in an accident and was a pavement queen outside of the need to pick up a deer or drop off a stand, etc. No harsh trail riding. Original owner.

I won't be when the Dakota drops dead. After that thing, I don't want to even look at another Dodge.

I'm going on my fourth set of control arms (and probably ball joints) on the passenger side at 135k. The suspension problems this truck has is insane - ball joints, control arms, shocks, bushings, so on. Never been in an accident and was a pavement queen outside of the need to pick up a deer or drop off a stand, etc. No harsh trail riding. Original owner.

I think the problem is all those big bucks you strap to the hood and drive around for hours on end showing off.  That would be fine in a carpeted bed sissy truck, but not a dodge.

I think you got a bum truck. My ex's Durango is just fine, had to do the lower ball joints and calipers up front, but the truck is 11 years old. That stuff happens. I know a bunch of people with Dakotas and Durangos, never heard of issues as bad as yours. Must be a loose nut behind the wheel....

I think you got a bum truck. My ex's Durango is just fine, had to do the lower ball joints and calipers up front, but the truck is 11 years old. That stuff happens. I know a bunch of people with Dakotas and Durangos, never heard of issues as bad as yours. Must be a loose nut behind the wheel....

I've replaced calipers too. Seizing up.

Definitely not me. This truck hasn't been the best to me. I'm not about to buy another Dodge after that experience. Normally I can shake it off and try to rationalize it, but this truck has been horrible.

Did I mention the time when my PCM went in Ohio? On a Saturday at 5 p.m. Took me two and a half months to get it back to NY with a new OEM PCM. That was a nice repair bill. I got so mad I went out and bought another Ford during that time.

same boat here we have had bad luck with Dodge products But a few of my buddies have had great luck

I only had 1 GM that had issues & should have known better to buy a 1/2 ton plow truck but was young

Edited by gfdeputy2