MACHINIST contest thread

My brother in law got a jake this am also

mikeandI5-3-14_zps74d40cac.jpg

OK heres the story now that I am done with cleaning the bird and doing a few things around the house.Got to the farm at 5am,loaded up and headed out.The night before we saw 2 birds heading into the block of woods but didn't see where they went after they went in and it was an hour before sundown so I know they would be in a different roost.My friend wanted to sit right where the birds went in so I went over to were I figure they roosted.I was within 30 yards of where I wanted to sit when a one gobbled on the roost,I knew I was going to be in the right spot!! I got under a big cherry and started to clear the leaves when a big flock busted 20 yards to my left.I thought that was it the birds are gone,so I settled in for the long sit.After 15 minutes I heard a gobble so I knew he was still there.I let out a few purrs and watched him fly down from the roost at 625,he and another the same size came strutting in and when they hit the 40 yard mark I let him have it.The other just sat there like he had a "WTF" look on him.,not moving just a few clucks.He was down for the count so I just watched his buddy and hoped he would run by my friend.No such luck so that ended my day.Now its my daughters turn,she wanted to spend the night at a friends and she is regretting that!!!!LOL

• Like 4

Well we are home already,between the rain and wind my lil huntress was froze.They got within the 40 yard mark and I have her 20 gauge patterned out to 35 with a decent pattern.I know she could have taken one out but she didn't feel comfortable because she was shaking like a leaf on a tree and she wanted to hold off for a closer shot.I am very proud of her,she has learned a ton this year!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Was quite a different hunt.We started out on another property near Fair Haven,NY and heard a bit of gobbling.Things went cold after a little it and we walked around to see if we could spark up a conversation but nothing worked.I have a 100 acre lease in Palermo and my friend and I decided to go out that way because its been hunted very little this year.My friend took a hardwood ridge and started calling and I took the other ridge and did the same,but before we split up we decided were we would both sit the rest of that afternoon out.As I made my way through I got to my spot and got all set up.With a hen decoy out in the sunny spot in the field.The mosquitos were absolutely terrible and I thought to myself "man I don't know if I can make it to 12 with them this bad as I forgot my bug net and the bug spray had all sweated off by then.As I reached for my call and for my striker I heard a gobble,he was only at 60 yards but he was locked on my decoy and walking straight towards it.I slowly moved my gun in position and picked a spot he would get to in a opening,when he popped into the opening at 35 yards I let him have a shot of 3 1/2 inch #5 lonbeards.He dropped stone dead and didn't flop or twitch a bit.When I got to him he started the jitters but soon gave up the ghost.What a season!!! My little girl is going out again in the am so I am really hoping to get one in front of her

Edited by MACHINIST