.270 bullets.

Just Lucky

Yesterday I got my .270 out to shoot. I set up a spot for 300 plus yards and need to use a rifle. I haven't used it in 2 years after loosing a 2nd buck. I don't like there is little to no blood from deer, even the one's recovered but anyways.

I have 4 different bullets and wanted to see what patterns best out of it. The gun is a savage axis II. So the worst was Winchester whitetails 150 grain. Probably about 8 inch pattern. Followed by Federal berger 140 grain hybrid. About a 6 inch pattern, but felt very smooth shooting.

2nd best was the Winchester whitetails 130 grain. About a 2.5 inch pattern,maybe a little less. But the hole was  clean. Straight though, and no tearing of the paper. 

The best performer were Hornaday set 140 grain. Less then 1.5 inch pattern,and good impact. 

Keep in mind this was also off a table but holding gun with hands, not shooting with a rest or sled. 

1 minute ago, Just Lucky said:

Yesterday I got my .270 out to shoot. I set up a spot for 300 plus yards and need to use a rifle. I haven't used it in 2 years after loosing a 2nd buck. I don't like there is little to no blood from deer, even the one's recovered but anyways.

I have 4 different bullets and wanted to see what patterns best out of it. The gun is a savage axis II. So the worst was Winchester whitetails 150 grain. Probably about 8 inch pattern. Followed by Federal berger 140 grain hybrid. About a 6 inch pattern, but felt very smooth shooting.

2nd best was the Winchester whitetails 130 grain. About a 2.5 inch pattern,maybe a little less. But the hole was  clean. Straight though, and no tearing of the paper. 

The best performer were Hornaday set 140 grain. Less then 1.5 inch pattern,and good impact. 

Keep in mind this was also off a table but holding gun with hands, not shooting with a rest or sled. 

Did any of your shots run a line or just random spacing groups? Some times a warm Bartel will walk around a little. I take big brakes between every 2 or 3 shots.

3 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Did any of your shots run a line or just random spacing groups? Some times a warm Bartel will walk around a little. I take big brakes between every 2 or 3 shots.

Random grouping, none ran a line. Shot 2 at a time. 6 total with each bullet and made my decision.  Over the next 2 weeks I will 5 bullets for a confidence builder 2 sitting, and 3 standing.  

I don't like shooting alot at one time. I will start over thinking,  and compensate for something that doesn't need to be done. Want the shot to feel natural without alot of thought

The 140 gr Hornady gives good balance in 270 cal both with trajectory and hitting power and being it shot the best I would be leaning that way.

Did a ballistic chart for you with that bullet out to 300 yards sighted dead on at 200 going 2900 fps, looks like pretty good performance to me.

Al

2022-10-31_191600.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

You're wasting time and ammo trying to "pattern" a rifle while holding the gun in your hands.  The 1.5" was a fluke........

Get a decent rest and a decent bench.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Random grouping, none ran a line. Shot 2 at a time. 6 total with each bullet and made my decision.  Over the next 2 weeks I will 5 bullets for a confidence builder 2 sitting, and 3 standing.  

I don't like shooting alot at one time. I will start over thinking,  and compensate for something that doesn't need to be done. Want the shot to feel natural without alot of thought

I do the same. Good for a handful of winners.

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You're wasting time and ammo trying to "pattern" a rifle while holding the gun in your hands.  The 1.5" was a fluke........

I like to shoot how I hunt. The front of the barrel is always moving, I can not control the swaying and circling when trying to hold steady,but I can  control the direction of the movement if it doesn't stop.  I will put the crosshairs high, move in a downward motion and pull trigger when on target. I have success with it. That is how I was taught long ago. 

I can not justify the cost of a good bench and rest. I will use a piece of 2x4 with a V notched out for a shooting stick when in the blind this year to help steady the gun some. And when still hunting, I find the free handed, and movement is crucial.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

No way Larry.

Dont you pattern your rifles off hand?

A bench is only for a 243

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I like to shoot how I hunt. The front of the barrel is always moving, I can not control the swaying and circling when trying to hold steady,but I can  control the direction of the movement if it doesn't stop.  I will put the crosshairs high, move in a downward motion and pull trigger when on target. I have success with it. That is how I was taught long ago. 

I can not justify the cost of a good bench and rest. I will use a piece of 2x4 with a V notched out for a shooting stick when in the blind this year to help steady the gun some. And when still hunting, I find the free handed, and movement is crucial.

This really is outstanding.   I could probably count on one hand the deer I've ever shot "free handed".

"Practicing"  with a rifle offhand or without a solid rest is fine....

But if you think it is an indication of which of 4 bullets group the best, you are pissing in the wind....

You need a rock solid  bench and rest to eliminate the human error...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

This really is outstanding.   I could probably count on one hand the deer I've ever shot "free handed".

I do alot of shooting bench work testing my reloads. Before that, always zeroed in from a solid bench, even with shotguns. That said, I've shot a pile of deer, definitely the majority "free hand". The bench shooting always gave me the confidence the round would go where I aimed. 99% of the time it did.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, grampy said:

I do alot of shooting bench work testing my reloads. Before that, always zeroed in from a solid bench, even with shotguns. That said, I've shot a pile of deer, definitely the majority "free hand". The bench shooting always gave me the confidence the round would go where I aimed. 99% of the time it did.

I hate that other 1% with a passion lol

• Like 2

I'm guessing these are 100 yard groups? I have the same model gun in a few other calibers. I felt with the more budget style guns, they needed to have a barrel break in process to get the best accuracy. And the more it was shot the better it got.  The sst will get the job done, however ive heard too many horror stories from them. If you can id try and find a good soft point bullet or a barnes copper style. The 270 was really designed to shoot the 130gr bullets, not that you cant shoot the others. If you stick with the SST which 1.5" group is plenty good enough. do your best to avoid that shoulder. 

Also, These Axis guns will shoot differently if you force and add any flex or stress to the stock while your holding/shooting it. They are very flimsy stocks, and if not just lightly holding it, it can make your groups suffer some. have also had a 6.5cm in savage axis brand at it drove tacks..  

Just a few things to ponder. I have a brand new in box Abolt at home in 270 I need to shoot, this makes me want to get it out and see what it will do. 

14 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I'm guessing these are 100 yard groups? I have the same model gun in a few other calibers. I felt with the more budget style guns, they needed to have a barrel break in process to get the best accuracy. And the more it was shot the better it got.  The sst will get the job done, however ive heard too many horror stories from them. If you can id try and find a good soft point bullet or a barnes copper style. The 270 was really designed to shoot the 130gr bullets, not that you cant shoot the others. If you stick with the SST which 1.5" group is plenty good enough. do your best to avoid that shoulder. 

Also, These Axis guns will shoot differently if you force and add any flex or stress to the stock while your holding/shooting it. They are very flimsy stocks, and if not just lightly holding it, it can make your groups suffer some. have also had a 6.5cm in savage axis brand at it drove tacks..  

Just a few things to ponder. I have a brand new in box Abolt at home in 270 I need to shoot, this makes me want to get it out and see what it will do. 

I did not know that the 270 was designed for 130 grain. Interesting.

Have you found the temperatures to effect the accuracy as well because of the stock? I have thought about that before. The gun seems to shoot more accurate when the temperature is warmer.

12 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

I handload and have shoot deer (one shot DRT kills) out west at distances of 450 yards, 360 yards, and 330 yards.  These are laser range finder confirmed distances.  All of the shots were braced off a tripod.  You should never be shooting 200 yards or more free hand.  I am concerned about the bolded text above.  1) "... Loosing a 2nd buck" may or may not be due to the bullet performance itself; 2) "...but felt very smooth shooting" means nothing.  Low recoil?;  3) " But the hole was  clean. Straight though, and no tearing of the paper. " is what you want.  This means the bullet is not yawing or tumbling.; and 4) "...and good impact." cannot be determined by paper targets.  

Regarding bullet performance, I found Nosler partitions to be better suited for bear/moose/elk and Nosler Accubonds to be excellent for deer.  

I agree with others.

Sight-in needs to be from a lead sled or holding device. Then once sighted in, practice the way you hunt. Every animal I have killed with a gun has been either off-hand or sitting resting on my knee. I never was a fan of shooting prone for some reason. Regardless, sighting in is done from a lead sled (caldwell).

• Like 2

I had a savage axis II in 270 as well. It’s deadly accurate using my Caldwell deadshot fieldpod along with 140 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip ammo.  Very hard to find that ammo but in my experience better than federal or Remington.  I have killed deer with a single shot this way over 300 yards I think the trick is just touching the trigger without touching the rest of the gun very very accurate this way.  Sandbag works nice too but doesn’t move up and down or sideways like the Caldwell dead shot  

B7A71BF1-3A40-4E12-98C9-575ED1209A40.png

29FCA11D-D815-4DBB-B970-7EF3A867CA98.png

5 hours ago, Lomax said:

I had a savage axis II in 270 as well. It’s deadly accurate using my Caldwell deadshot fieldpod along with 140 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip ammo.  Very hard to find that ammo but in my experience better than federal or Remington.  I have killed deer with a single shot this way over 300 yards I think the trick is just touching the trigger without touching the rest of the gun very very accurate this way.  Sandbag works nice too but doesn’t move up and down or sideways like the Caldwell dead shot  

I was at a tagging station in Maine when this guy brought  a Doe in . I couldn't help asking him what he shot that deer with because the hole on one side was as big as a baseball . Guy says thats the exit hole from his 270 using that exact same round . 140 grain Ballistic Silvertips . They are brutal . If I remember right , he said he shot it  at 65-70 yards out in a cutting . 

5 hours ago, Lomax said:

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:45 PM, SportsmanNH said:

I was at a tagging station in Maine when this guy brought  a Doe in . I couldn't help asking him what he shot that deer with because the hole on one side was as big as a baseball . Guy says thats the exit hole from his 270 using that exact same round . 140 grain Ballistic Silvertips . They are brutal . If I remember right , he said he shot it  at 65-70 yards out in a cutting . 

In all likelihood what happened here, was the bullet exited the deer at a sharp angle while tumbling.  This will cause exit wounds like you saw.   Under normal circumstances, the mushroomed bullet exit hole will be no larger than 2x caliber diameter.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:07 PM, Just Lucky said:

Did you let the barrel cool off  between each shot ? Thats going to make  Difference to Plus what others have said .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Did you let the barrel cool off  between each shot ? Thats going to make  Difference to Plus what others have said .

Great point. That first shot at a deer will be with a cool barrel. I always want that first shot coming out exactly how I practiced it. 

• Like 2