Trail cameras and batteries?

I've used both, lithium definitely last longer, and supposedly, the cams function better on them, but I don't believe it. 

Currently have 2 tactacam on alkaline and 2 on lithium.  Been out since September 5th. All show 100%, and are working fine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lithium's are expensive... in fact last time I went to buy them on Amazon, they were TWICE the price I'd paid the year before. (thanks you know who)

But they're still worth the money for me for my cams. Life gets in the way and sometimes I don't get to check them for six months or more. I have a couple that the batteries are a year old, but somehow show 100% or close to when I checked them on Halloween.

Lithium batteries will show ~100% until the day they die. You may get one reading of less than that before the camera stops transmitting. That's one of the virtues of lithium - they give you their all until the very end. This equates to better pictures, especially at night in cold weather or at the end of their life. 

I've had alkaline batteries run from September to December before dying on me. But I've also had them crap out at the worst times possible, when I don't want to or can't retrieve them. My current set-ups utilize 8 or 10 amp hour sealed lithium batteries inside of Remington ammo boxes, connected via an external wire input that I protect from squirrels using split corrugated loom tubing. Buy once, cry once. I will never have to purchase batteries again...I hope. The cost of the setup per camera is ~$70. 

13 hours ago, knehrke said:

Lithium batteries will show ~100% until the day they die. You may get one reading of less than that before the camera stops transmitting. That's one of the virtues of lithium - they give you their all until the very end. This equates to better pictures, especially at night in cold weather or at the end of their life. 

I've had alkaline batteries run from September to December before dying on me. But I've also had them crap out at the worst times possible, when I don't want to or can't retrieve them. My current set-ups utilize 8 or 10 amp hour sealed lithium batteries inside of Remington ammo boxes, connected via an external wire input that I protect from squirrels using split corrugated loom tubing. Buy once, cry once. I will never have to purchase batteries again...I hope. The cost of the setup per camera is ~$70. 

Which lithium batteries did you purchase and from where that give you 12v?

Purchased from the dark overload bezos on amazon. Prices are dropping fast, so if you're thinking for next year, wait. I've used a couple brands, Nermak I recall is one, Lossigy is another. It seems like you can find 12V 10 Ah for ~$40 and 8 Ah for ~$30. I noticed that there's a 16 Ah cell for $60, but I don't know if it fits into the Remington plastic ammo case (which you should be able to find for ~$5 (item # PLA1312P, exterior dimensions are L=11.63in. x W=7.13in. x H=5.13in).

If you run an external setup, be aware that the cable connector to the camera can differ by brand. Standard 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm works in most brands, and I purchase the ones from Steathcam, but Tactacam takes 4.0 x 1.7 mm...I think others like Spartan, Covert may as well. Verity before purchasing; they're cheap (Bolyguard makes a bunch of configurations), and if you're handy you can build them from parts. Don't forget to protect them from chewing by using plastic corrugated wire wrap. Also, I wrap the cord around the top of the camera once so it can't simply pull out.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 6:10 AM, knehrke said:

Purchased from the dark overload bezos on amazon. Prices are dropping fast, so if you're thinking for next year, wait. I've used a couple brands, Nermak I recall is one, Lossigy is another. It seems like you can find 12V 10 Ah for ~$40 and 8 Ah for ~$30. I noticed that there's a 16 Ah cell for $60, but I don't know if it fits into the Remington plastic ammo case (which you should be able to find for ~$5 (item # PLA1312P, exterior dimensions are L=11.63in. x W=7.13in. x H=5.13in).

If you run an external setup, be aware that the cable connector to the camera can differ by brand. Standard 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm works in most brands, and I purchase the ones from Steathcam, but Tactacam takes 4.0 x 1.7 mm...I think others like Spartan, Covert may as well. Verity before purchasing; they're cheap (Bolyguard makes a bunch of configurations), and if you're handy you can build them from parts. Don't forget to protect them from chewing by using plastic corrugated wire wrap. Also, I wrap the cord around the top of the camera once so it can't simply pull out.

Thanks found this..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBFTCPSS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?pd_rd_i=B0BBFTCPSS&pd_rd_w=hVNWm&content-id=amzn1.sym.88097cb9-5064-44ef-891b-abfacbc1c44b&pf_rd_p=88097cb9-5064-44ef-891b-abfacbc1c44b&pf_rd_r=C2GWS1N62KDQ00FVCWBC&pd_rd_wg=rLBYG&pd_rd_r=0c598e4c-101e-42c7-9fee-a00c213f4d87&s=hpc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

What if I add a 12v solar charger..would potentially last yrs out there

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I've been doing a bunch of research on DIY solar set-ups.   Thinking I'm going to try that battery (or any one with BMS) with a 5- or 10-watt solar panel to keep it charged. 

With the solar panel in the mix, a voltage regulator on the output side is needed to keep from frying the camera.

20221014_154353.jpg

Edited by JJBat150
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, JJBat150 said:

I've been doing a bunch of research on DIY solar set-ups.   Thinking I'm going to try that battery (or any one with BMS) with a 5- or 10-watt solar panel to keep it charged. 

With the solar panel in the mix, a voltage regulator on the output side is needed to keep from frying the camera.

20221014_154353.jpg

Like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-DROK-Waterproof-Transformer-Television/dp/B0B6VL787X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=12v%2Bvoltage%2Bregulator&qid=1668692243&sprefix=12v%2Bvolt%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-3&th=1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:57 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Hmmm...a battery that's manufactured by "Nojoke", which I thought was Asian at first until I realized that it simply says "No joke". No joke. And the delivery date is between December 28th and January 7th. Run. Run very fast.

• Haha 1