Barred owl looking over me.

turkeyfeathers

I’ll backtrack a little. I’m 53 but when about 16 or so was out shooting squirrels in the winter at a local country club my Pop was greens superintendent of and my brother Lee worked there too. Both for many many years. Upon finding a big ole Beech tree with “ the owl called my name “ in it I asked my brother if he knew anything about it. He said yes I carved it years ago. IIRC it’s a story written about the same year I was born about an Englishman settling in with a Native American tribe.  The Indians told him if you heard an owl call your name you were soon to die. 
My brother would drive from WNY every year to Montana from late April to Early November every year for so many years to fly fish. He’d fish Idaho and Wyoming too. He’d text once in awhile as working too. Hearing of saw where a grizz ripped up a tree stump today , peregrine dive bombing a bald eagle over the Madison river . He was a legend out there as one incredible fly fisherman. . Guides would hear he’s on fish and want to question him. He’s met Steven Segaul, Henry winkler , want to say Tom Brokow and a few others out there. 
Lee had a brain aneurysm 3 years ago October 22( his birthday ) out there. I was POA.  Upon many calls with surgeons.  All of which said even in great shape as he was ( at 72 he could kick my ass  as worked out hard ) , with intense rehab he’d never be able to tye flies , walk the trout streams again. Upon a week of on life support I had to make the correct and unselfish decision. October 29, 2019 Lee passed. 
November 2 mere days later I packed up my climber and headed out. By 2 pm I’m locked in. At 2:15 I hear a barred owl sound off. What ?! It’s mid afternoon and I’ve never heard an owl sound off at this time of day. Mere minutes pass and a 4 point buck is walking straight to me.  I let him pass slight quartering away. He hits a tree I’ve lasered at 11-12 yards and I send it. Watch him take off 40-50 yards and crash. Lee and the owl sent me that buck. My first archery buck. I passed a few a little bigger until then but I knew this buck was sent by Lee. Grampy will agree on owls are a spirit bird I learned after. 
Last year I got a nice owl tattoo on my calve to remind me up said buck and Lee. 
He passed on October 29th. October 29th couple days ago I was on deck at apartment listening. Once in awhile I’ll hear coyotes yipping , barking and occasional howl from nearby large cemetery. But this night I hear a barred owl on the day he left us 3 years prior. It’s a couple houses down. I tell gf and get immediate tears as never heard an owl from here before. Following night I go to listen. Upon opening the door I hear the whoooooooo and he’s sitting in the top of a black walnut tree 20 yards from me. I can see his profile silhouetted in the night sky. I call gf to come look and listen. Again I get tears. He flies off few houses and within a minute perched in same tree in front of me. I’d keep coming into apartment and he’d keep being there when I went to look. So tomorrow I will hunt and hope that Lee sends me a buck . 

• Like 27

Lee never left you Jay.

He rides the wings of the spirit bird to greet you. Thankful, that you are his little brother. That you did what he wanted. 

Get out there and get that buck my friend. 

There was water in my eyes reading this. I have a very similar story too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ll backtrack a little. I’m 53 but when about 16 or so was out shooting squirrels in the winter at a local country club my Pop was greens superintendent of and my brother Lee worked there too. Both for many many years. Upon finding a big ole Beech tree with “ the owl called my name “ in it I asked my brother if he knew anything about it. He said yes I carved it years ago. IIRC it’s a story written about the same year I was born about an Englishman settling in with a Native American tribe.  The Indians told him if you heard an owl call your name you were soon to die. 
My brother would drive from WNY every year to Montana from late April to Early November every year for so many years to fly fish. He’d fish Idaho and Wyoming too. He’d text once in awhile as working too. Hearing of saw where a grizz ripped up a tree stump today , peregrine dive bombing a bald eagle over the Madison river . He was a legend out there as one incredible fly fisherman. . Guides would hear he’s on fish and want to question him. He’s met Steven Segaul, Henry winkler , want to say Tom Brokow and a few others out there. 
Lee had a brain aneurysm 3 years ago October 22( his birthday ) out there. I was POA.  Upon many calls with surgeons.  All of which said even in great shape as he was ( at 72 he could kick my ass  as worked out hard ) , with intense rehab he’d never be able to tye flies , walk the trout streams again. Upon a week of on life support I had to make the correct and unselfish decision. October 29, 2019 Lee passed. 
November 2 mere days later I packed up my climber and headed out. By 2 pm I’m locked in. At 2:15 I hear a barred owl sound off. What ?! It’s mid afternoon and I’ve never heard an owl sound off at this time of day. Mere minutes pass and a 4 point buck is walking straight to me.  I let him pass slight quartering away. He hits a tree I’ve lasered at 11-12 yards and I send it. Watch him take off 40-50 yards and crash. Lee and the owl sent me that buck. My first archery buck. I passed a few a little bigger until then but I knew this buck was sent by Lee. Grampy will agree on owls are a spirit bird I learned after. 
Last year I got a nice owl tattoo on my calve to remind me up said buck and Lee. 
He passed on October 29th. October 29th couple days ago I was on deck at apartment listening. Once in awhile I’ll hear coyotes yipping , barking and occasional howl from nearby large cemetery. But this night I hear a barred owl on the day he left us 3 years prior. It’s a couple houses down. I tell gf and get immediate tears as never heard an owl from here before. Following night I go to listen. Upon opening the door I hear the whoooooooo and he’s sitting in the top of a black walnut tree 20 yards from me. I can see his profile silhouetted in the night sky. I call gf to come look and listen. Again I get tears. He flies off few houses and within a minute perched in same tree in front of me. I’d keep coming into apartment and he’d keep being there when I went to look. So tomorrow I will hunt and hope that Lee sends me a buck . 

"Those we love don't go away"

"They walk beside us everyday"

"Unseen, Unheard, but always near"

"Still Loved, Still Missed, and very dear"

• Thanks 1