What kind if plant is this??

burmjohn

I find it in damp areas frequently also, but have never seen any indication of deer eating them.

I hate to disagree with both suggestions, but they definely are not Lady Slippers (google for a comparison) and they don't match up with Skunk Cabbage either. I watch them from sprout up through frost kill, and I have never seen any purple on them. Darnd if I can figure them out. I wonder if they are an invasive species, usually finding them near old homestead sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypripedium_reginae

"

Habitat[edit]

Cypripedium reginae grows in calcareous wet lands, open wooded swamps, with tamarack and black spruce.[4] Contrary to many garden tips, C. reginae thrives in neutral to basic soils and prefers growing in fens. Despite growing in mildly acidic environments, its roots can penetrate the mossy layers down to more neutral water sources. It forms clumps by branching of the underground rhizomes. It forms aerial roots in the swampy bog conditions. It is eaten by white-tailed deer.[5]

Cypripedium reginae can be found in Canada from Saskatchewan east to Atlantic Canada, and the eastern United States south to Arkansas and Tennessee.

Culvercreek hunt club, on 05 May 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Braking the leave and crushing it will tell if it is skunk cabbage or not...lol. Make sure you rub it all over your hands really well so you can get a good wiff.

Makes a GREAT cover scent too!! Just rub it all over your clothes!! B)

I think its  Lady slipper. A spot where  I use to turkey hunt was covered with them, in the spring time.….Could be wrong, but i remember an old timer pointing them out to me ,years ago, and calling them "lady slippers" Some bloom and some don't.

'

I think its  Lady slipper. A spot where  I use to turkey hunt was covered with them, in the spring time.….Could be wrong, but i remember an old timer pointing them out to me ,years ago, and calling them "lady slippers" Some bloom and some don't.

'

I'm leaning towards that based on the pictures I have seen.

after looking online myself to compare, I agree with False Hellbore.Having seen it in bloom a number of times it matches up perfectly- note, there is a western and eastern variety, each having distinctly different terrain needs.

Not long ago, on an aside, I found a patch of pitcher plants growing in with skunk cabbage. Pretty cool.