Bear rug back

NYBowhunter

• 2 months later...

Yeah I would imagine most dogs would freak out..

Not ours, lol. The dog and I were in the yard Monday and she started barking and trotting towards the road. I turned to see what she was barking at thinking it was people. I didn't see anything so I took a step towards the corner of the house and there was a large black bear standing up by the road getting ready to come into the yard! It did and Liberty went right towards it. I had to call her back a few times but she came back to me. She's not big by any means- she's a black lab/border collie mix that at most goes 30# but she's got heart.

This was actually the second time she's done that. The first time we were all in the house on a Saturday morning around 9:00am and my son looked out his window and yells" There's a bear in the yard!" Then my girlfriend turns to me and tells me to go outside and get Liberty before the bear does. ( Sure honey, I guess I'm expendable) I went out there and the bear is looking at me and the dog then comes into the yard and Liberty goes towards it like it's no big deal. Eventually it walks away like we weren't even there.

2 Funny, those little dogs are great protectors!

Not ours, lol. The dog and I were in the yard Monday and she started barking and trotting towards the road. I turned to see what she was barking at thinking it was people. I didn't see anything so I took a step towards the corner of the house and there was a large black bear standing up by the road getting ready to come into the yard! It did and Liberty went right towards it. I had to call her back a few times but she came back to me. She's not big by any means- she's a black lab/border collie mix that at most goes 30# but she's got heart.

This was actually the second time she's done that. The first time we were all in the house on a Saturday morning around 9:00am and my son looked out his window and yells" There's a bear in the yard!" Then my girlfriend turns to me and tells me to go outside and get Liberty before the bear does. ( Sure honey, I guess I'm expendable) I went out there and the bear is looking at me and the dog then comes into the yard and Liberty goes towards it like it's no big deal. Eventually it walks away like we weren't even there.

Did you take all the fat off before you froze it?

Yes, I cleaned the hide for hours and hours. I wasn't sure when or where I was going to take it to get it done. A friend told me to get it super clean and rap it head inside with fur to fur, skin to skin and rap it tight. I have had it on ice for 5 years now. Wow how time slips by, I hope it is still ok. Probably freezer burned ears and stuff.

Only one way to know for sure.

Only other thing that will increase your odds in the future is to salt the hell out of it. I lost a hide because even though I froze it the hide must have insulated so well the center of the wrap didn't cool down fast enough to stop the bacteria and that causes the hair to slip..fall out.

I have a mount and my Father's rug so If I get another one I will probably get a rug done and sell it. Probably one of the few mountings you can get your money out of or make a few bucks.

Fantastic, looks like it will fit right in with your other splendid trophies.

Question: When getting a bear rug, do you have to get the fringe/color layer on the bottom or can it just be the actual bear hide?

Pretty sure it can be done without the felt as mine also came with a thick back padding.

I have a 6 foot black bear rug in the freezer that I need to get done. I just hope that it comes out as good as yours looks. I really like the red felt, it sets it off, but I am partial to the color red.

Yeah I wanted something that would make the bears outline pop...just the black felt wasn't doing it for me, so I opted for the red and black scalloped border and I think it shows the bear well.