2009 Survey and NYS management outline

Doewhacker

Here is another study they did, pay attention to the other options they came up with in case hunters don't kill enough deer. Page 19 is something, just the idea that some one considered it enough to put it in a report is bad. Now I don't think its anything to worry about, I just found it interesting and wanted to share.

www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/Deermgtopt08.pdf

This is some good stuff, Doe.  I am glad some are noticing the small margin difference of those who support AR's and those who don't.  An issue so evenly divided by hunters will NOT become statewide law any time soon.  This I can assure anyone.  Most especially with hunter numbers dwindling in recent years and the DEC in need of hunters dollars.

I guess as a whole us NY hunters are a greedy self serving bunch...lol Taling about the one buck rull....the "other" hunters...gun rifle...that would only take one buck are highly for a one buck rule....since that is all they take anyway....the bow/muzz that can take two are against a one buck rule. gotta say I am not surprised

Just browsing through quick.  But it seems that most, by a small margin, agree with doing Antler restrictions to reduce yearling buck take.

not to disagree but the 58% said the MOST important thing is the ability to take the buck they want to.

Yup, saw that too.  And 53% support voluntary restraint on shooting yearling bucks. 

Just browsing through quick.  But it seems that most, by a small margin, agree with doing Antler restrictions to reduce yearling buck take.

You don't have to disagree :)  its that it says... Seems the survey is all over the place.. Wonder  where they chose to send this out to.  Anyone on here get it??

not to disagree but the 58% said the MOST important thing is the ability to take the buck they want to.

Exactly John....I was noting the descrepencies....they are fo antler restrictions but want to choose...lol.. I think they were reading our forum :) . I have to reread it but it looks like there are lines drawn on the type of hunting one does. I wish they made the breakdown for all the %'s on the slides. the 58% sayig the most important thing is their choice....isn't broken down buy type of hunter....I find that curious. Obviously they have the info.

Most of what I saw there was totally inconclusive. There is no real concrete concensus, and I now understand why the DEC wants to see some sort of super-majority before acting on any of this. There really is no serious commitment on the part of the hunting community. A simple 1 or 2 point majority really doesn't cut it and probably is within the margin of error of the poll.

By the way, I was not asked to participate in this survey, and I am still waiting to hear from even one individual who was. ;)  It does make you wonder when you see all these surveys and studies and have never met anyone who has ever taken part in one.

Doc

This is all good information and it seems that we will never agree 100% on some type of practice.

If I had to cast a vote right now on any changes to the hunting season, I would have none. What is so bad about the NYS deer season anyway?

We have multiple opportunities to harvest deer. Lucky hunters can get a DMP permit. I know from region to region the herd changes but where I hunt we have all age groups of deer. If you lucky enough you my take a 3.5 or 4.5 year old deer. If not there are plenty of doe and smaller bucks to hunt.

I went bow hunting 7 days this year saw plenty of deer. I hunted opening weekend and Monday morning  we took two huge doe and one nice 4pt. We saw plenty of deer. My hunting experience includes hunting with good friends, being able to shoot what I want to shoot and seeing the deer in their element. If we harvest deer all the better. Again I wouldn't change the way NYS manages the hunting season.