My Buddy 1st ever turkey hunt & bird down

Big Indian

A friend invited me to his family's land to turkey hunt w/ him. He had never turkey hunted before. Nice place and lots of sign.

We got out Monday and had immediate action, 2 or 3 on the roost and I began to work them, however in the middle of bringing them in I enticed 3 jakes from bind us, who actually came in silent from our left across a big field 70-80 yards out and went in the direction of the big boys, and I never heard from them again. The remainder of the day was very uneventful although my buddy was happy to have seen and heard some birds.

The next day, Tuesday had so many birds going from the time we stepped out of the house I did not know where to start. I began with a bird across the street and we set up on him and listened to him go crazy in the tree with the help of an owl and the other birds in the area. When I heard him fly down I gave him a few soft calls, to which he answered, but he did not want to play, he headed off in the other direction and we went back behind the farm. I intended to work the same birds from Monday, and while heading to the area we heard one gobble on his own. We immediately set up on this lone bird and I began trying to bring him in, he was going crazy answering me and as he was coming in I realized  had a real hen helping from behind. I thought she was going to screw the whole thing up, but I think she may have actually helped, I stopped calling and let her do the work. Within 5-7 minutes he appeared. My buddy was able to take him at 30 yards. He had an 8" beard and 1 " spurs, probably 19-20 lbs.

I think my friend is hooked on Turkey hunting. I am so satisfied that I was able to help him harvest his 1st bird and get out in the woods and create a memory which he, (or I for that matter) will never forget.post-1499-0-84107900-1399546248_thumb.jppost-1499-0-94454600-1399546280_thumb.jppost-1499-0-94454600-1399546280_thumb.jppost-1499-0-85268700-1399546307_thumb.jp

• Like 7