Stump Shooting

airedale

I have subscribed to Old Brian's Poverty Hill channel and have watched a few of his videos and enjoyed them a lot. I came across this one about stump shooting and I have not heard that term in many years but there was a time me and some of my fellow archers would do some stump shooting with our recurves as depicted in Old Brian's video, it was a common term at one time. It is a lot of fun and good practice especially for small game which I did a lot of mostly for rabbits. It can do a number on your arrows so we used our beat up ones mostly.

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I use to hunt Letchworth and other state lands after doing the morning hunt a few of us would spend a couple hrs in the middle of the day and do some stump shooting with judo points great way to kill some time and practice.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

They sell targets now .

Not the same though , I have targets in my yard and I know the distance from every weed on that bright , Level ground , with zero branches in the way  .

I stump shoot on the way out in the morning , all at ranges I have to guess at ,in an actual woods , uphill ,down , between branches and so on . ruined an arrow yesterday, lose  a few too each year . 

Train like you fight and all that 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Not the same though , I have targets in my yard and I know the distance from every weed on that bright , Level ground , with zero branches in the way  .

I stump shoot on the way out in the morning , all at ranges I have to guess at ,in an actual woods , uphill ,down , between branches and so on . ruined an arrow yesterday, lose  a few too each year . 

Train like you fight and all that 

I train to hit deer

• Like 2

Brian, I started with a recurve in the mid 70’s, went to compound in the early 80’s, then back to the recurve & longbow in 1986.   Stuck with that until (IIRC) 1999 when I went back to the compound and where I am now.   Judo points work with all of them, just fine.   

If a guy or gal wants to pot a squirrel, grouse, rabbit etc the Judo point is a much better choice than a field point or broadhead.   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OldBrian said:

Jeremy,

If you do not mind me asking, what type of a bow do you shoot?  Stump shooting may not be the best practice if it is a compound. 3d targets may be a better choice. Nothing wrong with 3ds. Take care, brian

It was a fine video ,I was just busting chops is all. Yes I shoot a compound so stumps are a bit hard on the arrows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBrian said:

Jeremy,

If you do not mind me asking, what type of a bow do you shoot?  Stump shooting may not be the best practice if it is a compound. 3d targets may be a better choice. Nothing wrong with 3ds. Take care, brian

Funny little story . Back 25 years ago when I first started in archery and didn’t know any better. I went out with my 77 lb 31.5 draw compound to stump shoot ,it’s great practice  they said. Well after that  first obliterated arrow/ judo point , I was done stump shooting . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

In honor of the nostalgia buzz I got from Old Brian's stump shooting video I went out this morning and did a little arrow slinging with my first longbow picked up this past summer, a 68 inch SAS, nothing fancy but jeeze I like it.

My first victim was a real trophy a big old white pine stump that sits in my yard the wife uses for a planter, then went out back a drilled a few more, plenty of stumps around here and they did not cost me a penny.

Again thanks Brian for the video.

Al

2022-11-04_112558.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After checking out a bunch of online videos about stumping (and there are many!) as it is called, I did not realize that it is quite popular among archers that shoot with fingers. It is something that I am going to participate in a lot more as I find it quite enjoyable and laid back, just sent for some points that I may like better than my bludgeon type. What is great about this is that all of my archery equipment is suitable for this type of shooting.

Al

Edited by airedale

Good thread. When I lived in Colorado, and had MUCH stronger legs we made it a game kinda like disc golf. Points lost for stepping on a twig, misses, points won for hits and fastest time through the "course". When that course is straight up a steep slope at 10K feet you learn to control your breathing while shooting when when gassed... great conditioning, lots of fun and greatly helps instinctive tradional bow shooters improve. Take down long bow, heavy alluminum arrows so as not to break your Port Orford pine arrows.  Fred Aspell (I think) used a throwing a baseball analogy for instinctive shoooting, you dont stop to use a range finder and sight to hit the cacther mitt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Unit8R said:

Take down long bow, heavy aluminum arrows so as not to break your Port Orford pine arrows.  Fred Aspell (I think) used a throwing a baseball analogy for instinctive shooting, you dont stop to use a range finder and sight to hit the catcher mitt.

All of my archery equipment is pretty much vintage, I still use aluminum arrows for most of my shooting. I just refletched a bunch of old aluminum shafts that should work out well for stumping. If I bend or break one it will not be a big deal. As I mention above I sent for some different points that I think will work a bit better especially on a fresher stump, my bludgeon heads will sometimes bounce off. 

Al

2022-12-19_083450.png

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Did some stump shooting yesterday and tried several different points, all are supposed to be for small game and I think all of them would work well for that. For stump shooting I have settled on the large black one on the left for the simple reason it does not penetrate deep into old stumps and is easy to remove. Accuracy wise it is a toss up for me using recurve bows and fingers. 

This stump shooting is a blast and makes practice fun and interesting.

Al

2023-09-09_062853.png

Edited by airedale