Crow Calling

Vince1

So I got a new crow call and went out today and it worked like a charm was able to "locate" the general direction of but couldn't connect.

so i guess i got the crow calling down. now to work on my turkey calls cause i couldn't call in a bird for nothin

This is something that baffles me to no end. Everyone claims the crow call is a great locator and is the daytime go to for gobblers. But in my whole turkey hunting career I have never ever ever had a bird gobble back to a crow call. Ever.

So my question is....how the heck are you guys doing it!?!? What's the cadence and the volume?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Get a LOUD, open reed call.

Learn to growl into it so it it sounds like a REAL crow, instead of going TOOT TOOT TOOT like I hear many guys doing in the woods.

As Lawdwaz says, nothing works all of the time, but there have been many times over the years when I was very glad to have mine hanging around my neck.

• Like 1

I was doing a Caw Caw Caw as loud as I could from on top of a little hill well not right at the top. and no id dint get a response every time.

think it actually scared em away :)

but I did have a lovely conversation with a crow as well

I went out with my uncle on opening day. We had 5 turkeys gobbling off in the distance and getting closer every so often. They quit gobbling and wouldn't respond to the slate, box, or mouth call. After a while a crow flew over head and they started gobbling. My my uncle pulled his crow call out and had them gobbling back for about an hour the only problem was they weren't coming any closer or responding to any turkey calls. I went out and bought a crow call and haven't had anything respond to it yet. I can get them to respond to my slate call but can't get them

To come within 200 yards.

Well I will have to keep at it. I have had a number of different calls over the years, but always the same results. I have had them gobble back to just about everything else in the vest, owl hooter, peacock, woodpecker, goose, dog whistle...not all the time but at least a few times. The crow call though, he's the odd call out....well the train whistle hasn't worked yet either but its only been half of a season.

Been out 3 days so far. Multiple birds shock gobbled at my crow call every time. Hit it hard and loud. They gobble back and not even know they're doing it. Once you locate them they might not hit your hen call because they have their hens in tow already. Yesterday had strutter in field hung up at 70 yards. A car a half mile away beeped and he gobbled on it. 

Just do 1 - 2  fast, loud blasts on the crow call & listen they might be answering before you end your call. get the direction of the bird & maybe move a bit closer, set up & work the bird.  Remember your not calling crows ,you are trying to locate a turkey!

Edited by hunter49

Well I will have to keep at it. I have had a number of different calls over the years, but always the same results. I have had them gobble back to just about everything else in the vest, owl hooter, peacock, woodpecker, goose, dog whistle...not all the time but at least a few times. The crow call though, he's the odd call out....well the train whistle hasn't worked yet either but its only been half of a season.

Isn't that train heavy to carry in your vest?

No need for shock calls when crows, geese, and other noisy birds are sounding off. And once birds feel hunting pressure they stop gobbling or cut it way down. Shock and regular turkey calls carry long distances and some hunters just keep calling and loudly at that. All that is telling those birds is hunters are still in the woods. Walking around, getting into the woods too late  or leaving too early doesn't help either.

I used to use a crow call quite a bit and had some good luck with 'em until I'd lose them like I do most of my calls.

Eventually I just started crow calling with my own voice and found it works just as well.

I had this group of 5 jakes hung up in front of me last week so I decided to have a little fun with it and test my mad turkey locating skills even though I knew they were right in front of me,lol

Click the pic for a 30 second crow call clip.

th_DSCN0718_zpsaeed867e.jpg

• Like 1

What's being discussed here is a "shock response" by a gobbler to a loud noise. IMHO & what many others have said is it's more about the loud noise than how natural it sounds. Damned gobblers will repond to train whistles, police or fire sirens, woodpecker sounds, thunder, dogs howling, crow calls, gun shots and on & on! Although it may exist, I have no scientific data to support what my personal experience tells me. Distance (proximity) can be your best friend when getting a shock gobble to a loud noise. Meaning, at greater distances depending on terrain & habitat, the sound level diminishes and you may not evoke these desired shock responses.

• Like 1

And then try the softest scratch on a box call - they will gobble back at that too when they are in a gobbling mode. It sounds like what is being suggested here by several people is that if you 'get loud' you will evoke gobbling when the birds are not in a gobbling mode. Hunting pressure takes them out of the gobbling mode. The fact that they do gobble at gun shots, slamming doors, and unnatural calling in the absence of hunting pressure or the first few days of the season; does in no way prove that loud calling / shock calling will turn on gobbling once the birds are spooky. Furthermore, the less realistic the calls are, the more likely the birds will associate them with hunters and not regularly occurring natural sounds.

Edited by mike rossi

I have never heard a tom sound off to a crow call or any other locator call.If they are in the right mood they will respond to almost any noise however,if a crow or woodpecker call is able to make them gobble then my thought is that they would never stop gobbling,as crows and woodpeckers are sounding off thought the woods every 5 minuites. Owl call once and a while early. I just ask why would they respond to a noise they here on a regular and often bases.If they don't gobble at every woodpecker or crow in the woods then why would they when a hunter makes those sounds.