First fawn of 2014!

wooly

Hiking into my turkey blind this morning when I bumped a deer. That's been happening every morning lately, so nothing unusual there.
A little further along I spotted a little dot in my headlight beam reflecting back at me so I went to check it out and here's what I found! :)

RSCN0811_zpsfcc968b8.jpg

RSCN0812_zps437cfb59.jpg

I was getting a little carried away with pictures flashing in his face and forgot that I needed to pay attention to where momma was before she put the boots to me,lol.

I forced myself to leave him after a few shots so mom could get back to him and went on to another exciting turkey hunt! I let him get a good whiff of me so he remembers who I am in a few weeks when he's moving around on his own.

• Like 15

Very cool, Wooley..

I may have stepped close to many in the darkness..I seldom use a light when walking pre-dawn turkey hunting..

I HAVE nearly stepped on a couple  in the laurel after daylight... Little buggers just lay there, but you can see thier eyes following you as you move around them.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, fawning season ranks right up there with shed season for me! I love photographing these little guys, but this was the first time I ever had to do it in the dark.

Pygmy- I never used to use a light at night, but I got tired of getting poked in the eyes before a hunt.

Guess I just use it for my own physical well being.

I ain't scared of the dark or anything silly like that,lol

skyhunter- he was no bigger than a short loaf of bread. Very close in size comparison to an adult cat.

He didn't look "wet" so no telling when he dropped.

• Like 1

Wooly, it's a good thing you carry a camera! I don't think anyone would believe you, considering all the cool critter encounters you have! B)   

That was one of the reasons I picked up a camera in the first place.

Until then, I was just "telling tall tales" until I learned this way of bringing the experiences home with me to share.

I hated being "that guy" who had a story for everything and then seeing folks just roll their eyes in disbelief every time I opened my mouth,lol.

Nobody does that any more because I never leave home without it. ;)

• Like 1

That was one of the reasons I picked up a camera in the first place.

Until then, I was just "telling tall tales" until I learned this way of bringing the experiences home with me to share.

I hated being "that guy" who had a story for everything and then seeing folks just roll their eyes in disbelief every time I opened my mouth,lol.

Nobody does that any more because I never leave home without it. ;)

That photo is clearly from last summer, come on fess up!

haha I had to do it!

Seems a wee bit early for a fawn doesn't it? Awesome discovery

• Like 1

That photo is clearly from last summer, come on fess up!

haha I had to do it!

Seems a wee bit early for a fawn doesn't it? Awesome discovery

It was at a deer farm too... I must confess,lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...