Fat on deer this year

turkeyfeathers

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Doe i zipped last week had more fat on her than any other deer I've taken. Buddy said same about a nice 10 he shot last night. 

Anyone else notice this? It's odd too as been pretty dang warm all along IMO

Was there any milk in her ?  The one I killed this year, in the early antlerless gun season, was loaded with fat.  I think most of that was due to the coyotes getting her fawn, and her not needing to make any more milk.  

Last year I killed an older doe, just a couple weeks later in the year (during early NZ ML).  She had two fawns, was loaded with milk, and had very little fat on her.  

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Was there any milk in her ?  The one I killed this year, in the early antlerless gun season, was loaded with fat.  I think most of that was due to the coyotes getting her fawn, and her not needing to make any more milk.  

Last year I killed an older doe, just a couple weeks later in the year (during early NZ ML).  She had two fawns, was loaded with milk, and had very little fat on her.  

no milk

There's some truth to this.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

On 11/3/2022 at 8:15 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

It's definitely not from an overabundance of acorns! The crop has been virtually non-existent here in the finger lakes region for the second year in a row.

No acorns is right! At least last year there was a bumper crop of hickory nuts which the deer love as well.  The crop fields around me have been picked, coated with liquid manure and tilled too. It appears they they are mostly eating greens at this point.

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

No acorns is right! At least last year there was a bumper crop of hickory nuts which the deer love as well.  The crop fields around me have been picked, coated with liquid manure and tilled too. It appears they they are mostly eating greens at this point.

Have you seen deer eating these? I have hickory trees where I hunt and never seen a deer stop for them. I always wonder if it was because the are so hard to chew on.

14 hours ago, biggamefish said:

Have you seen deer eating these? I have hickory trees where I hunt and never seen a deer stop for them. I always wonder if it was because the are so hard to chew on.

I have a stand of swamp hickory that the deer hit. It's super loud when they eat them.

• Like 1