What does hunting teach one about life?

Grouse

Had to put down my daughters doe she shot this morning. It looked dead to me the first time finding it. It got up and went off. Kind of freaked me out. Second time she was still alive had to put an arrow in her. That doe had so much survival instinct. Kind of taught me a lesson. It was overcast snow falling and she stoped breathing. First time in a real long time I sat there and reflected and shed a tear.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

There is a strong connection between my hunting and our American culture and heritage. Yes, among all the categories of people, even we have such things as heritage and culture. We began this nation as a land of hunters, and it was the thoughts of that sort of thing that first interested me in all the outdoor activities that I have been into all through my life.

There is also an element of independence even though if we had to count on my game harvests for our food, we likely would starve to death.....lol.

Hunting also teaches the participants that meat does not come from trees or originate in cellophane wrapped Styrofoam packages.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

There is a strong connection between my hunting and our American culture and heritage. Yes, among all the categories of people, even we have such things as heritage and culture. We began this nation as a land of hunters, and it was the thoughts of that sort of thing that first interested me in all the outdoor activities that I have been into all through my life.

There is also an element of independence even though if we had to count on my game harvests for our food, we likely would starve to death.....lol.

Hunting also teaches the participants that meat does not come from trees or originate in cellophane wrapped Styrofoam packages.

Okay.... I'm going with what you said :) I don't think it is necessarilly as deep as some get about it... it is just something that seems to be in our blood.

Edited by nyantler

• 3 months later...

Hunting does kind of indicate that a part of us are in the category of predators doesn't it? That feeling of excitement and anticipation when a deer steps into range isn't quite the same as when I am out in the garden bout to pull a carrot. There definitely is something that mentally goes through our mind when we see fresh deer sign that is not really that different than when a wolf picks up the fresh scent of its prey. The chase is on. There is excitement and anticipation and need to secure that deer for food. It is our predatory instinct that comes from somewhere deep in our genetic make-up. We don't often think of it that way, and perhaps many do not want to admit it exists in humans, but it is something to be learned from the hunting experience.

• Like 1