New to area

vince1230

Hello I moved this summer it Afton Ny area. I used to hunt state game land in central pa with decent luck. I have been hunting this spring in Melondy Hill, Oak Ridge and Bumps Creek state forests but have one hear one faint gobble. I am not asking for anyone's secret spot to hunt but wonder bests place if all three to hunt and if possible maybe some areas I do not know about. I know melondy hill is pretty big area but if someone could shrink my learning curve it would be great. Thanks

You are not alone in not hearing any gobblers. You are about 20 or 25 miles north of me and everyone that I know who hunts turkeys are haviing the same problems. I don't know if it was the winter kill off or the birds are late this year. I know guys who have just given up on hunting this spring because of it. I am surprised that you say that the Afton area is that bad. Afton has always  been good for hunting turkey and deer no matter where you hunt up there. I have gone in to places that in the pass were good for birds and there is no gobbling or sign of birds..There are no birds out in the fields and I am not seeing any birds crossing the back roads.If this continues I see the DEC shutting down turkey hunting as we know it.

When I moved here I was kind of surprised that we get two spring gobblers and length of fall season. Back in pa we got three days in wmu in Fall and one gobbler unless you bought additional tag before season started

yeah, to be quite honest I don't see why anyone needs to be allowed kill two Toms in the spring or more than one of either sex in the fall..........but that's just my thoughts.