Age this buck ;)

heavuser

This guy has been popping up since early September for me.

Last weekend my buddy saw him chase a 4 pointer down about 80yrds from his stand. That was the only daylight sighting of him. I only get him on the cams at night.

Some nights he will travel miles as he will pop up on one of my cams then 4-5 hours later he shows up on another about 1.5 miles away.

I scout about 2-3 times a week changing cameras trying to get him during the day.

Based on everything I've seen on camera this guy is extremely intelligent and knows how to survive. Lately he has not shown up on any of my cams, I believe he's changed his main patterns because of the rut.

How old do you think this thick necked boy is?

8643af0e-aaa9-40ef-af31-bf85392de932.thumb.jpg.abe2e6a98c124800d4d3df3e1a068b81.jpg771e0177-8c61-4847-8c75-e0d6fac260b2.jpg.fb3e3d1d16a7834d0ee49e937a0a1863.jpg

Screenshot_20221020-191216_Tactacam Reveal.jpg

• Like 2

solid 4.5-5.5 yr old. If you are looking to kill mature bucks, your best interest is to stay out of those woods and do not go in unless your hunting, then you can carefully pull or move a cam. The key to killing  a home body buck is to keep all pressure off your property and only hunt when its right.. 

• Like 3

Where I hunt, both landowners let people walk their properties during archery season. Some with dogs.  

Most will limit the walks to mid day because of hunting season, and some stop completely, but some just don't care. The deer are so used to people walking.  I've watched deer leave the fields only to return a few minutes later after the people are out of sight. Most only walk the field edges, but some do walk the trails.  Once rifle starts, property is off limits to people walking. I've had to remind several over the yrs about the rules. Some told me they didn't care about what I said, they have permission. They learned quickly. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, mowin said:

Where I hunt, both landowners let people walk their properties during archery season. Some with dogs.  

Most will limit the walks to mid day because of hunting season, and some stop completely, but some just don't care. The deer are so used to people walking.  I've watched deer leave the fields only to return a few minutes later after the people are out of sight. Most only walk the field edges, but some do walk the trails.  Once rifle starts, property is off limits to people walking. I've had to remind several over the yrs about the rules. Some told me they didn't care about what I said, they have permission. They learned quickly. 

It's public over here, I get people on cam every few days :/

But the big boy still hands around.

definitely 4.5 and i'm leaning harder toward 5.5. fully developed rectangular frame front to back. i get the tight belly and straight back but the second picture comes off as older than 4.5 yrs old.  boxy frame and camel like neck with a shoulder hump. it depends on food, but not all deer have access to load up on say ag to get that gut and sagging back at 5.5. in kentucky last year i had a similar buck that believed to be 5.5 yrs old by some pretty knowledgeable folks, that are specifically whitetail biologists. looks very similar.

• Like 1