Joining the Crossbow Family

heavuser

I would like to alert you that I believe that particular crossbow will not be legal in New York as it does not meet the 17" minimum uncocked width from tip to tip. Please see the attached link for details. If you were not aware of this you may want to cancel your order.   valoroutdoors.com.     https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

I would like to alert you that I believe that particular crossbow will not be legal in New York as it does not meet the 17" minimum uncocked width from tip to tip. Please see the attached link for details. If you were not aware of this you may want to cancel your order.   valoroutdoors.com.     https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Oh damn, well that would be a bummer if that was the case.

I guess I'll check if its legal in PA and Jersey as I have tags to fill there as well. 

Edit: I was just browsing all the crossbows on ravins site and I guess not a single one of them is NY State legal?!?     

Edited by heavuser

2 hours ago, ncountry said:

Nice! I've been  admiring them for a bit , but said to myself " who in there right mind would spend over 3 grand on a crossbow" now I know..

Assuming you are in your right mind ;)

That should be a nice rig though, enjoy!

The same guy that would spend 2grand on a bow  :help:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BBDEric said:

I don't know any dec officer enforcing.  But has to be 17 inch uncocked. Not many manufacturers even meeting that requirement. I for one don't care what anyone uses as long as you get out an enjoy the outdoors. 

You won’t find many that enforce the stupid laws. Unless of course they use the illegal crossbow for other illegal activities and then they will just add the stupid law on the top of the other charges. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Sad story, the r500 busted through 2 separate sets of strings. The nock serving kept fraying until it would split apart. I had to harass Ravin but I'm swapping it out for a r29x. After all the reviews I've read on Facebook and other r500 owners experiences I believe the r500 just isn't ready for production. It never should have been released to the public. 

The other unfortunate side is that Ravin has been doing everything in their power to delay getting me the r29x, even going as far as to tell me the guy who prints shipping labels has the week off so they can't send me a prepaid label to ship back the r500 until earliest Friday. 

Edited by heavuser
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Sad story, the r500 busted through 2 separate sets of strings. The nock serving kept fraying until it would split apart. I had to harass Ravin but I'm swapping it out for a r29x. After all the reviews I've read on Facebook and other r500 owners experiences I believe the r500 just isn't ready for production. It never should have been released to the public. 

The other unfortunate side is that Ravin has been doing everything in their power to delay getting me the r29x, even going as far as to tell me the guy who prints shipping labels has the week off so they can't send me a prepaid label to ship back the r500 until earliest Friday. 

That sucks. But my Scorpyd ate a string pretty fast also. At 480fps there is a crazy amount of pressure on those things. Every new crossbow made should also be able to be unloaded without having to shoot a bolt. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

That sucks. But my Scorpyd ate a string pretty fast also. At 480fps there is a crazy amount of pressure on those things. Every new crossbow made should also be able to be unloaded without having to shoot a bolt. 

yeh the scorpyd 175 were known to chew out the serving.

One guy on crossbownation started dbl serving and that was the saving grace along with graphite stick to keep it slick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

yeh the scorpyd 175 were known to chew out the serving.

One guy on crossbownation started dbl serving and that was the saving grace along with graphite stick to keep it slick.

I'm talking less than 50 shots on each string. The second set started to fray after just two shots. 

I think the string carriage was the issue.

Edited by heavuser
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, heavuser said:

I'm talking less than 50 shots on each string. The second set started to fray after just two shots. 

I think the string carriage was the issue.

Yeah word has it those bows with so much power are burning them up in about 50 shots or less. And some shops are charging up to $350 just to change out the strings. Crazy!!

• Haha 1