Rod Building?

Lawdwaz

I'm interested in building a couple spinning rods.  Anybody here done it?  I have a couple good friends that have that can help but I'd be curious if you guys have.

Any gear you want to unload before I start acquiring?

Thanks........

EDIT: Mods, move this to the DIY forum if its out of place.

Edited by Lawdwaz

My great uncle did it for 30+ years...I picked it up a few years back, it's fairly simple to learn but much harder to master the advanced techniques.

I'd go with an entry level power wrapper...I also get my blanks and other gear from www.mudhole.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I had someone from another forum make me one once. It came out really cool. It's camo with my name engraved in gold and a smallmouth bass and a brown trout on it. I paired it with a blaze orange reel

I had someone from another forum make me one once. It came out really cool. It's camo with my name engraved in gold and a smallmouth bass and a brown trout on it. I paired it with a blaze orange reel

Weatherby logo'd too?

Only you, Biz.  Only you......... :fie:

• Like 1

How many rods are you looking to build? Unless you're going to build quite a few rods each year, I'd suggest holding off on buying a power wrapper. 2 simple V blocks to support the blank and run your thread through a book to tension. Add a book on top to increase tension to desired level. What action/line wt blanks are you considering? Composite blanks are sensitive yet more forgiving than graphite. If you're going to fish braided line definately consider a composite blank as you need to put a little give back into the equation that graphite can't provide.

After the first rod, talk to your buddies and see about borrowing a power wrapper. At the same time get their input on finishing the wraps. Mudhole is a good resource as mentioned.

I built many rods without power when I first started, like anything the sky is the limit if you want to indulge yourself. For many years I built rods for a well known shop here on LI with nothing more than an old wrapper made from a sewing machine motor, holding the thread spool by hand with 1 V block supporting the blank.

Buy a good blank and components, build it correctly and enjoy every fish you take on it.

PM me if you'd like, be happy to try and help.

I have made quite a few threw the years,mostly Surf Rods 10 to 13-1/2' long. Did a lot of Surf Fishing on L.I. I used Lamaglass blanks, The best guides you can afford,Thread made for wrapping.Flex coat.To cover wraps.You can use simple wooden V blocks to hold the rod on a bench,Just put something over the closest block to the wraps you are doing to keep the rod from pulling up.Gentile pressure is the key to a nice even wrap.

Tape the guides on the blank including the tip with the reel in place with the line you are going to use,put the line thhrew the guides and tie the end of the line to a table leg or something that won't move pull up on the rod and adjust the guides so the line is not hitting the blank.Line them up so the line is in the center of the guide and start wrapping.Take your time. Have fun.You will enjoy the rod when it is finished.

I have been building for about 10yrs now. Probably have done about 300 or so rods in that amount of time. Actually quite a large community of builders once you actually get into it. I have been lucky enough to get myself involved with some of the best builders in the world. There is an international rod building show down in north Carolina every February that is pretty impressive. I spend a good amount of time with the NERBS (north east rod builders) visit the site if you wish to see some work from the best around. Anyway as others have said it will not take much to get you building a basic rod however be very careful as it does become an addicting hobby and then becomes expensive. Any questions that you may have give a shout.

Mudhole = great selection.

I've built a dozen or two, if you count rewraps. It's fun but not cheap. You can make rods yourself that you'd never find/buy otherwise. Good times. I never did a power wrapper; probably not necessary unless your really churning them out under deadline. Make a couple and fish them hard, almost abuse them, to test them before you do a bunch more.

• 2 weeks later...

I started.

Fore and aft cork grip, real seat and butt cap were glued up this morning.  Spine on tip section was located, tip eye epoxied on, remaining guides spaced, taped on and ONE is wrapped. B)

It was/is a royal PIA when you have bad eyes and poor dexterity in your fingers....... :fie:   Maybe this was a bad idea??

I'll get back at it tomorrow night, Saturday is Opening Day of bass season and I need to be ready!

Oh man are my eyes are toasted..............................................

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

If you have bad dexterity and eyes this will probably not be tge hobby for you. However give it a go and see. A basic build with minimal thread work wont be to bad. Bit of advise forget the taping of the guides. Next time yo place a mudhole order get the roll of surgical tubing. Cut yourself 1/8-1/4 inch pieces depending on the guise size. Roll those down the blank and slide the guide foot under instead of tape. They are mobile when drying to deflect for propper guide spacing.

Sewing machine motors are a little on the fast side even with the foot pedal controller.I made 2 spinners using sewing machine motors and foot pedals, the motors were hooked to a reduction gear box and a cone ( picture a shot glass on it's side) on the output shaft.Just put the but of the rod blank in it and some masking tape holds it in place.Made 2 sets of offset rollers out of 1/8" thick aluminum 3" dia.with O rings on the OD,Mounted to a piece of aluminum angle,.and a third set with an adjustable roller to put on top of the 2 bottom rollers to hold the rod blank down and in place,I could clamp the rollers on anything at any distance.Made everything from 3' long for 2 piece rods to 13-1/2' surf rods.

Turns at a nice slow RPM and get nice even and tight (if you want) wraps.

Will have to dig them out and take a snap shot.

A headband type magnifier is a help. I also use it  for for tying jigs/flies.

Cool tip from Mikejd about the surgical tubing.

I never had a power wrapper, just used the book method...I tied up a few rods over the years, but nowadays mostly I just re-wrap to replace guides.

Quality rods are not that expensive these days, and they last a long time, unless you close them up in the tailgate of your truck..

Of course, I never did THAT....<<blush>>....