bass opener

critter

haven't had a bad year yet, we always get our daily limit and some of them are real nice, we also bull head fish at night and usualy do ok but they have ben hit or miss last 2 years, i hope they are better this year.

We live on Otisco...the bass jump in the boat right up until the season opens, ha!

There is a tournament here on the opener...I haven't participated in a few years but my little 28 month old son is starting to fish so I'm sure we will be starting to get more involved in the coming years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have twin 3 year old boys and we have been taking them to still water since they were born and last year was good i think this year will be great, i really enjoy being able to spend the time with my kids doing something that does not involve electricity lol

• 2 weeks later...

The bass opener has been an event of some magnitude with me and my friends for the last 40 years or so.

We used to get a group together and rent a cottage or campsite for the entire weekend. We have always had a little wager on the biggest bass ( usually $5 per person).

Over the years we have fished the St. Lawrence, Seneca Lake, and Keuka Lake. At  times we had as many as 15 or 20 fishermen involved.

The last few years we have done Keuka. It is closer for us and we seem to catch just as many and just as big bass there as anywhere.

We no longer camp for the weekend...Just  2 or 3 boats on opening day.

It's still a special day, and generally it takes a 4 pound plus fish to win the money...

Most of us concentrate on smallmouths and most of our fish are caught on light spinning tackle and hair jigs..

Take some pictures guys!

I'll probably fish the Mighty (upper) Niagara River on opening day.

Although I've fished my entire life, I've never fished opening day of bass. This will be my first opener.............as long as the weather cooperates.

Luck to all!

It will be a little bittersweet for me.

One of my fishing buddies, whom I grew up with, and who had been my favorite bartender for many years, passed away last October.

The trout opener this year  was the first one in many years  when we didn't fish together, and  he also was my partner for years on the bass opener.

Even in his 60s, he always got really excited about opening day.

I'll have to stop by the cemetery and give him a report..Perhaps I'll leave a beer and a couple of my hand tied hair jigs for him...

I hope everyone has a great opener and a safe one i know my kids are chomping at the bit to go as am i, Hoping the rain thats in the forcast changes as the week goes on camping is no fun in the ran for 5 days

Good luck with the weather, Critter...

Camping is no fun in the rain, Lord knows I've done enough of it over the years...<<grin>>..

Hmmmm......

For me it was Alaska 1997.  11 nights in a 4 man POS tent with my buddy and all our wet crap.  12" of rain (measured at the Yakutat airport) fell in that time period.

Good times........................................................... :O

• Like 1

In 1989 in Alaska, my partner and I spent two weeks in the Alaska wilderness on a float trip...It rained every day, usually several times. the only day we did not get wet was the day the float plane picked us up.

In 1999, four of us did a supercub drop near Koliganek, Alaska.  We had two 4 man tents.  About the 4th or 5th day a storm came up and wrecked one of our tents.  We had to pile all 4 of us in one tent with only 2 sleeping pads and 2 bags..

It rained nonstop for 5 days with NO chance to dry anything out. We were on open tundra with no timber and no cover except our tent.

However, we saw over 1000 caribou per day and we each killed two big bulls...We saw  13 grizzlies and a huge bull moose ( no moose tag).

Finally the weather cleared and the ait taxi was able to fly us out.

Great trip !!

I have a place on Big Bass Lake in the Poconos.  I fished last weekend on Saturday and Sunday morning. I had 4 bass and 7 pickerel.  The water was still a bit cool and only one bass was a decent size.  The lake is Catch and Release on bass, but I C&R on every fish.  It was nice just being out on the lake.  I love my Hobie Mirage Kayak, that thing is just perfect for lake fishing. 

gonna go up to lake lonely in Saratoga the day after opening day. have had some luck there before but mostly I go there because it's one of the few lakes around the capital region where you can rent a boat. never caught anything huge but there seems to be pretty decent numbers of largemouth and pike so its always a good time. Texas rigged soft plastics and weedless frogs are my favs!!!

I have a place on Big Bass Lake in the Poconos. I fished last weekend on Saturday and Sunday morning. I had 4 bass and 7 pickerel. The water was still a bit cool and only one bass was a decent size. The lake is Catch and Release on bass, but I C&R on every fish. It was nice just being out on the lake. I love my Hobie Mirage Kayak, that thing is just perfect for lake fishing.

Family had a place there when I was growing up. We used to call it big bass lake without the b. Fun times there.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

post-3268-14027556054416_thumb.jpg

Bass isn't open yet? Just kidding this smallie came out of a trout creek two nights ago. Thought I had a nice trout on. My daughter turns 4 this year and we have been out a few times for sunnies. I would love to have her catch a bass next weekend. We will prolly hit up a few ponds and lakes to find a few from shore. I look forward to starting a new tradition with my daughter who to my surprise loves fishing. She even touches the fish! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Family had a place there when I was growing up. We used to call it big bass lake without the b. Fun times there.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

We call it that too on occasion.  The Largemouth bass fishing has really improved over the past 3 years.  There is a Catch and Release policy on the bass, so I'm anticipating bigger ones this season.  Big Bass Lake is one of the nicest gated communities in the Poconos, but not too many people have heard of it.  I'll be up there again this weekend to fish, play tennis and go to the pool with the kids.