Would you move to Alaska?

Well the deal of moving to Rochester fell apart when we found out the house we were buying needed to much work. Then the job turned out to be not what it was cracked up to be. So now I have interviewed with people in Alaska and it went extremely well. I have a second interview with a doctor there next week and it looks like a real possibility. Given the chance how many of you would take off and go if it was offered? 

I did some cold weather training in Alaska when I was in the Marines, and I will say it is very beautiful up there. But I do remember going to Fairbanks on some free time, and I can say that things are very expensive there. People could pic you out and say "Your from the lower 48, aren't you?" I guess it takes time to blend in but that was quite few years ago. If you are going to make a good wage or salary to afford it, I would say it could be a great decision to make and move there. It was warmer in Alaska than it was in New York this past winter!!

I believe that the long winter nights would drive me berserk. Being locked into a cabin for months at a time because of the excessive depths of snow can't really be a lot of fun. I consider our ugly version of cabin fever here in NY, and can't imagine adding darkness and twice as much snow and ridiculous temperatures into that experience. As a hunting trip perhaps I would enjoy it, but I do have to say that I am a bit concerned about being among some critters that consider human flesh to be a delicacy. Also, Those little flying black things that seem to always be banging into the camera lenses up there have not escaped my attention. Does anybody ever get accustomed to that?

My thought is that Alaska makes a much better reality show to watch on TV than it does an actual living experience.

In a heartbeat....

I could probably fit all my sentimental posessions in one suitcase, and I'd just buy a new toothbrush when I got there! :D

As long as everything looked secure on the job front, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity.

Life's about making choices and taking chances. If we had a crystal ball to foresee the future, we'd be so terrified that we'd never chase our dreams!

Good luck with your decision if everything else pans out for ya!

• Like 3

Was there in '09. Amazing place. Talkeetna, Anchorage and long road trips around. Dream would be to live there and get the heck out of NY but as others have stated. Friends and family would be missed. We'll get back there someday I'm sure. If you have a great opportunity I say go for it. We watch all the lousy AK tv shows just to see the scenery.....incredible. 

I'm thinking like several of you all. If I am offered the position and pass on it, I'm afraid I may regret not having had the courage to take the plunge. As goofy as this sounds, I'm afraid of missing deer season here. I'm really not to sure of hunting opportunities in Kenai. Their is fishing that is the envy of the world, but I am primarily a hunter. Tough decision!

In my younger days I canoed AK,Yukon,BC etc.

My thoughts the sunny pics you see of AK are all taken on the few days the sun shines....

Wife has friends there ,they work hard for 6 months and go to Hawaii the other 6.

I can't tell you what to do, I know it's not for me though, but if you think our winters suck.....

Well, at the risk of being teased for watching reality shows, I have to confess to following a lot of these Alaskan programs that are all over the TV. While the story-lines may or may not be a bit suspect, I'm pretty sure that the depictions of the unending winter nights, along with severe bouts of cabin fever, and the crazy winter extremes, and the frequent rain during the rest of the year are probably pretty accurately represented. Not exactly what I would consider an ideal climate.

You get me a solid job and I'm there.... The earthquakes would be a turn off but I guess people are dealing with it somehow so maybe I would get used to it.... The nature would be the #1 reason to move out of this place....

I have been to Alaska seven times hunting and fishing...I wish I could afford to go every year. I LOVE the place !

Live there ??  You gotta be KIDDING !!

Very brief spring, short summer, very brief fall and LOOOOONG dark winter.

Fishing is excellent, but GOOD hunting even for most Alaskans is an expensive plane ride away. Anyplace accessible by roads ( even atvs) is either marginal hunting or tags are very difficult to draw.  Even Alaskan residents have to wait years to draw a moose tag on the Kenai.

WONDERFUL place to go fishing or hunting ( IF you have deep pockets)  but I would never want to live there.

I think I read someplace that the suicide rate is the highest in the nation.

• Like 2

I would love to live there half a year....leave their in late Fall and return in Early Spring. Wife won't let me. when I'm done working, I'll sell everything and go down south, but I would perfer a second home up there...mainly for the fishing

tough decision, you mentioned you may miss deer hunting and the fishing opportunities are great out there although you are more of a hunter than a fisherman. Possibly you get into fishing just as much as you like hunting. I personally love both. The hunting may not be the same up there as it is down here, but still it's hunting. Could be worse. 

It is a tough decision to make I am sure but don't let a hunting season be your deciding factor. You could be missing out on an opportunity of a lifetime. I wish you luck in your decision making. Keep us posted.