East Branch Delaware

noodle one

The turkey hunting has been real slow here with little or no gobbling all season. I did call in a lot of hens and a few jakes that I didn't want to shoot so this morning I told myself enough turkey hunting and time to do a little trout fishing. I headed down the East branch Delaware . I center pin for trout and always have good luck and catch some big fish fishing that way. For the people who don't know what center pinning is, it is fishing with a float and a free wheeling reel with no drag and a 13' foot noodle rod. I drifted though the hole I was fishing three times and on the four th. drift  my float went down and I set the hook. Nothing happen or moved, so I put more pressure on my line and that is when he took off and there was no turning him. I had him on for a good (5) five min. and only saw the top of his tail across the river and it was big. I am thinking that it had to a big brown. When he wanted to make a run all I could do was hang on because there was no stopping him. After five min he came off. He didn't break my line, he just pulled free from the hook. I did hook and land a 15' or 16' ins rainbow that was all colored up down it sides. I only fished for two or two and a half hours because the wind was blowing (20 mph) and it made it hard to control my line and float and I could not get the drifts I wanted . Tomorrow is suppose to be nice with less wind ,so when I get up I will check the wind and if everything is right I am heading down to see if I can hook up again with the big boy.

I was in Depo today for my grandfathers burial. It was a beautiful ceremony, been a looong day.

I noticed some guys on the river just downstream of the bridge near Hornbecks. Wish I had time to dust off the fly rod