Best cartridge for hunting North America

BKhunter

North American in my opinion in the best big game hunting in the world with the wide variety of big game. From white tail to brown bear you have a huge variety. What do you think the best all around cartridge is for being able to hunt anywhere in North America. I ask this because I would like to buy a new rifle but I would like something that I can start using to expand on my hunts and go for larger game other than just white tails.

This will be a real short thread because there is only one chambering to consider; 30-06 Springfield.

There is nothing it can't do.

This oughta be fun to watch..................................

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 10

I'm partial to the 7mm rem mag but I think its a little light for any large bears, so the 300 win mag would prolly be your go to , can hunt from deer (little much ) up to grizzly and moose , never hunted any of those big game but just what iv heard and know about the caliber

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Lawdwaz, on 10 Jun 2014 - 7:48 PM, said:

30-06 Springfield.

There is nothing it can't do.

Yaa....if you're a big girl and want a sissy gun.

Holland's 375......one rifle, one PLANET.

Why limit yourself to North America? It'll take anything, anywhere.

B) 

• Like 2

Yaa....if you're a big girl and want a sissy gun.

Holland's 375......one rifle, one PLANET.

Why limit yourself to North America? It'll take anything, anywhere.

B) 

Seems I have a loaded cartridge with that headstamp on it................wonder where THAT came from??????

Yea, that would be a world beater for sure but.............................................................................ya can't just drop into a Ace Hardware and score a box or two.   I mean, who knows when you're going to be SOL with your ammo and need to make a quick run to town??  They probably DO have it in Jo-burg though......................... :good:

Overkill on small game though.

"North American in my opinion in the best big game hunting in the world with the wide variety of big game"

Maybe you missed that part of the OP's inquiry? (it was the first sentence)

Edited by Lawdwaz

And in more than a few gun shops in Windhoek.

Maybe someday I'll get you to see for yourself.

Yes but if & when I'd be toting a vanilla 375 H&H. :O

But then again a '06 wouldn't be out of the place IF I had one!!

30-06....So boring but so CAPABLE...

A bit heavy for the small stuff, and a bit light for the big stuff, but with proper bullets, adequate for everything and perfect for a LOT of things. 

A fellow named Grancel Fitz  took dozens and dozens of species, including the big bears, with the 30-06.

Do I hunt with one.. ??  Not very often, my only 30-06 is my M1 Garand...

Did I mention that the 30-06 is BORING ??

I'm on the .06 band wagon here.

I hunt with a .300 win mag but I alway reccomend the 30.06 to anyone looking for an all around rifle.  Another nice thing is finding the ammo.  You can get ammo for a 30.06 just about anywhere. 

Having just seen a show where they shot a big brown bear and it charged to within 15 yards afterwards, requiring a second shot, I think I would want a bigger cartridge than 30-06 for browns and grizzlys but it is the minimum "recommended" cartridge.  That said, I agree with Lawdaz as it being the most versatile round for NA.