Lead poison FYI

Birddogg

Lead bullets tend to fragment into tiny pieces when they strike a target and can spread through an entire carcass.

Not true! ive never seen a bullet used for deer hunting yet that will fill the entire carcass w lead pieces! also it should say, they CAN fragment, ive seen many recovered bullets in perfect mushroom cond with almost nothing missing

Nonlead ammunition is more expensive, but Wetzler estimates it only costs about $15 more per box

ONLY?! they say it like im a money tree!!!

The press release stated that “no conclusive evidence exists that shows hunters and target shooters using traditional [lead] ammunition have caused a decline in the population of raptors.” NSSF also said the lead in bald eagles could have come from other sources, such as landfills, paint, or industrial activities.

Sorry but im not buying this lead ammo kills eagles BS, i agree with the NSSF

Edited by josephmrtn

I agree with the article's sentiment that we do everything in our power to eliminate it from most consumer goods, yet we allow people to just litter it willy-nilly out of a firearm...why not continue to transition to all non-toxic shot.

I believe there are others on this forum who will attest that using non-toxic shot goes a long way in diffusing an argument often used against hunters by conservation minded groups who might otherwise support the controlled harvest of game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree with Meat Manager.  We use steel shot for ducks.  We use non- lead for fly fishing.  We know it has damaging effects on the environment and wildlife.  Denying that is silly.  Moving in the direction of non-toxic ammo for hunting is a good way to promote hunters as conservationists.

• Like 1

Half of NYC still has lead water mains. I dont see us NYers dropping like eagles. This article may as well have been written by PETA. Doubt that every gut pile out there is full of lead. And if it is so apparently these eagles are eating alot of gut piles. So with that said since the majority of the eagles food must be from hunters by catch maybe we are keeping them from starving years earlier.

Pathetic.

• Like 3

Half of NYC still has lead water mains. I dont see us NYers dropping like eagles. This article may as well have been written by PETA. Doubt that every gut pile out there is full of lead. And if it is so apparently these eagles are eating alot of gut piles. So with that said since the majority of the eagles food must be from hunters by catch maybe we are keeping them from starving years earlier.

Pathetic.

Yeah stupid scientists and their stupid science...

I'm also thinking I might start adding a little extra mercury to my fish for flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry I'm calling B.S

I get checked for lead levels every year, and have done so for 21 years, I also pick an additional 3 employees to be checked as well with zero lead levels

I work with my hands in  lead every day, I've eaten more wild game than most and no for a fact I have eaten shot out of rabbits and still have no lead in my system, every house I've lived in had copper and lead solder joints

• Like 2

Pathetic.

How many deer outside of archery are shot every year? That translates into that many gut piles. When a sample of gut piles were tested, every gut pile had lead fragments .A variety of wildlife eat ALL of those gut piles.

Wildlife - live, dead, and sick animals have been tested and found with varying amounts of lead in their blood and/or tissues. Lead poisoning or "plumbism'' kills directly, indirectly, or impairs reproduction. Did you watch the videos I posted?

Another thing, trappers sometimes catch fox and other predators with mange in NY. Half of those animals would have fought off the condition and had normal pelts if they have not accumulated rat poison or lead in their tissues and blood.

• Like 1

Another thing, trappers sometimes catch fox and other predators with mange in NY. Half of those animals would have fought off the condition and had normal pelts if they have not accumulated rat poison or lead in their tissues and blood.

I want to see some real data to back this up,

Unleaded shotgun loads for waterfowl we've all accepted. When that regulation first came out there were an awful lot of crippled birds left to die in inaccessible areas. We didn't know that the old shotgun barrels wouldn't shoot steel shot. We knew it didn't shoot for crap, but nobody said it just wouldn't shoot for us, or that it would kill your barrel quicker than it would kill a bird. One of the main reasons I stopped hunting waterfowl.

Now it's solid projectiles? Unleaded bullets might work for woodchucks and squirrels, but a lot of deer, elk, bear, and caribou are going to be lost without the retained energy of lead. This smacks of an insidious anti-hunting agenda to me. Once again, CA leads the way in anything gun-related.

I'll do some research and some actual math on this when I get some free time, but I just can't imagine that the amount of lead contained in the bullets and slugs and ML balls being shot into game carcasses in this country would add up to very much compared to the other toxins that are routinely released onto the planet by people with far more political power than we mere hunters.

Verminator1

Here are a few links about the relationships between rodent poison and mange; and another about the general association about a lowered immune system from lead exposure which can conceivably increase mange infection; and  an article which is a good overview of lead toxicity. As usual this is just a few published reports, there are more out there.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/218901718/Rodenticide-Infographic

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2193/2005-615/abstract

http://www.urbancarnivores.com/notoedric-mange-a-disease-of/

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2060369-overview#aw2aab6b3

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/documents/86JCF.PLPWW02.pdf

Unleaded shotgun loads for waterfowl we've all accepted. When that regulation first came out there were an awful lot of crippled birds left to die in inaccessible areas. We didn't know that the old shotgun barrels wouldn't shoot steel shot. We knew it didn't shoot for crap, but nobody said it just wouldn't shoot for us, or that it would kill your barrel quicker than it would kill a bird. One of the main reasons I stopped hunting waterfowl.

Now it's solid projectiles? Unleaded bullets might work for woodchucks and squirrels, but a lot of deer, elk, bear, and caribou are going to be lost without the retained energy of lead. This smacks of an insidious anti-hunting agenda to me. Once again, CA leads the way in anything gun-related.

I'll do some research and some actual math on this when I get some free time, but I just can't imagine that the amount of lead contained in the bullets and slugs and ML balls being shot into game carcasses in this country would add up to very much compared to the other toxins that are routinely released onto the planet by people with far more political power than we mere hunters.

You know, I got an email blast from a Pro Hunting organization about a pending lead ammo ban proposal that contradicted itself. The by-line said that this was a slippery slope to ban all hunting... Yet the anti hunting organization slogan they offered as "proof" of the slippery slope said that their goal was (indeed) to end all hunting - by the democratic process and the ballot box....

Well guess what... That has nothing to do with a slippery slope. The non hunting public in a democratic process using the ballot box and/or any other public say-so will not side with the hunting community on this issue. The HSUS is indeed out to ban all hunting, very true, but not by using lead ammo to create a slippery slope. They are using the ballot box. If we stop using lead ammo we actually take one more tool away from the antis. We also stop wasting our time on this loser argument. For hunting to survive it must have broad-based public support and the public at large will never, ever, support lead ammunition...

The antis by opposing lead ammo, gain public support and credibility. Meanwhile hunters, by denying the impacts of lead ammo, lose public support and credibility.

Wake up people....

Edited by mike rossi

It seems that the anti-gun/antihunting powers constantly keep us on the defensive. It is simply one issue after the other, which generally are simply intended to keep the hunting/gun world in a constant state of turmoil and harassment. Most of the time the burden of proof winds up on us to try and prove their science faulty. Frankly, I am getting quite tired of reacting to every little needle that they stick in the doll.

I have to say that could not disagree more with your statement saying that a lot of big game is going to be lost with the use of non-toxic bullets. I use 100% copper bullets and out of the 6 deer i shot with it, only 2 were able to run and even then they only ran about 10 yards. With the nearly 100% weight retention and perfect mushrooms, copper bullets have some clear and distinct advantages over lead. While I don't want lead bullets banned, I don't think that we will see a dramatic increase of lost deer. Shoot an animal in the vitals and its going to die quick. 

• Like 1