Fixed Broadhead vs Mechanical article

BKhunter

Just read an article in field and stream that makes me second guess my choice to use mechanical broad heads.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/guest-shoot-me-down-fixed-blade-broadheads-top-mechanicals-for-deer?dom=fas&loc=contentwell&lnk=guest-shoot-me-down-fixedblade-broadheads-top-mechanicals-for-deer

The thing that really got me were two points:

1. You can practice with the fixed blade head and you know how they will fly (granted you will need to replace the blades or solely use that head for target practice.

2. Anything mechanical has the possibility of failure. (This was the main one that got me)

What kind of fixed broad heads are you guys shooting. Would like some recommendations to try out.

Look at the Ulmer Edge broadhead.Yes they are expandable but they also lock the blades down with a set screw for practicing with them.....and they make a monster hole!!

I second this I used these with great success last year. Extremely accurate out to 60 yards and deer never made it farther than 50 yds. Before this I was strictly a fixed head shooter but the ulmers are staying in my quiver for some time.

Edited by Hookhunter20

I tried mechanical and switched back to fixed.

1) The mechanical did not always work

2) The fixed blades shoot very good and are closer than the mechanical to what my field points are impacting.  (With this bow set up.)

3) When practicing the stupid fixed blade plastic insert would brake apart after 2-3 shots and Rage did not give spares or a practice tip.

4) Fixed make no noise when I am stalking

One thing I will say about the mechanical is the blades expand much farther than the fixed, if you are not a good shot they help! 

I just plain don't trust mechanicals, I use muzzy 3 blade with no issues now however I've considered trying qad exodus and g5 montec when I get the $. But right now 6 heads for 30 Dollars is hard to beat on My budget.

I shot the Montecs before moving to GrizzTricks, and personally I wouldn't recommend them. I was happy with how they flew, and no question they will kill if you put them in the right place, but I pretty much consider them a one shot disposable head. I never shot one where the tip didn't roll over, even on a double lung shot through the ribs. I was also never happy with the result when trying to resharpen them after a shot. I don't have confidence in them if the shot is a little off and, for example, you get some of the shoulder blade. I decided I much prefer to have a head with a sharp, hard, chisel tip which is why I went to the Tricks. Plus, you can just toss the blades after a shot and replace with new ones.

One thing I will say about the mechanical is the blades expand much farther than the fixed, if you are not a good shot they help! 

Much farther???Some might but thats not any reason to shoot them.If you can get a group with a field point tipped arrow you don't deserve to be in the woods shooting at any animal.A typical fixed blade is 1 -1 1/2 inches wide,some of the mechanicals can go out to 3 inches but most are 2 inches or so,still your only talking about a very small difference either way.If you cant hit the vitals,you cant kill a deer and stay home please

Fixed vs. mechanical is a debate that will never be won, lost or decided in large.

I use both. Slick Tricks and then the G5 Striker/BPS Blackout variants in preference of fixed. I do however, use Grim Reaper Razortips. I've been using them since 2010 and am just impressed with them. I still use the slick tricks and keep one in my quiver or when blind hunting, but the Grim Reapers have proven to me to be very reliable. I shot rages for parts of two seasons and loathed them and pretty much all mechanicals before the Razortips. It's just a well designed head all the way around. I have practice BH that I use on my targets.

From a cost perspective, I believe the mechanical practice heads are better because they tear up my 3d/Rhineharts much less than actual blades on a fixed. I haven't shot a field point in 4 years now on my hunting bow with the exception of initial changes to a tune/setup.

There are pros and cons with both and people shouldn't overthink it. If you get a setup that works for you, have confidence in it. Some people fear a mechanical breaking down. Some people fear the limited cutting diamater/area of a fixed. It's a personal decision. I forget the number of does I have taken with that setup, but the bucks since 2010 have been at 35 yds, 55 yds, 35 yds, 20 yds, and 12 yds. Bottom line is you have to have confidence. Admittedly, the 12 yd shot was the worst of the bunch, being a high double lung hit, and I believe the extra cutting diameter of the BH helped keep that buck from going far. There was little/no blood going to be available for tracking, and he made it about 20 yards before bedding down and being resigned to his fate.

Edited by phade

Guys have really strong options about different products that they have no experience with but bc their favorite TV host or hunting mentor instilled it in them the tow the line. There are pros and cons to both and you can be certain not all products are created equal that's a fact! The set up you shoot, arrows, region (woods density), altitude and game (not meaning bear or deer but Whitetail, Mule or Coues) can influence it as well.

I use both fixed and mechanical. I love my Wasp Hammers, NAP (mechanical 2", no collar deploy on impact) KillZones and last year had to try the new Toxic and harvested a slow walking buck at 9 yds. My shot was a little far back, liver and the buck jumped 6 feet vertical ran 15 feet stopped, I nocked a Wasp, Hammer for follow up shot but never hooked my release as the deer fell in less than 1 minute. Personally, if I hadn't done it I wouldn't have believed it!

I hunt the North East, NY bow only and carry 3 different broad heads in my quiver (all tried under variable conditions, tuned to my arrows and am 100% confident in all). My point is don't use something because "he or she said" try a couple different things. The guys here named some great products like the SlickTrick (I like the 4 blade bigger wound channel), NAP, G5's....Rage and Muzzy are both solid too. I hope this is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to try any head I could get my hands on and some of them even found their way to the woods with me... with mixed results.

Bottom line is, once you find a head you have confidence in, stick with it and it will do it's job on the business end, if you do yours on the senders side.

That said, I shoot a head I doubt would get much support here, but it's what I feel most deadly with and you can't argue with dead deer.

75gr. Rocket Mini-Blasters for me as long as they keep making them.

I shoot rage mechanicals right now. Every head known to mankind all have pros and cons. they will all work if you do your part. If they didn't companies would be out of business and not making them. In the end you use whatever you're confident will work so it's one less thing to think about.

I think that article was sponsored by a fixed blade manufacturer!  It is 100% opinion on what works better.  No way an article could possibly make a definitive statement regarding the choice!  As several people before me posted, there are pro's and con's of both.  HOWEVER, in my experience, some of the comments against mechanical blades are ridiculous at best.

I shoot Grim Reaper mechanicals and would put them against any fixed blade in the world.  Period.  And, you get a "practice" blade that flies identical to your hunting blades to pattern with your field tips (and I can literally split an arrow shaft with my practice blade they pattern so well).

Obviously, my opinion.  Try them both.  Of, if you are already shooting mechanicals and like them, relax!  lol.

I hunted for 15 years or so with a 100gr muzzy with great luck, except for the occasional poor shot(not the broadheads fault). Eventually got the itch to try these newfangled mechanicals, and have waffled back and forth for the last 7 years or so . At this point ,esp after last year I am really liking the rage coc 2.3" extremes.