Turkey Poults

I have seen a number of hens and only 1 poult...

Don't know what's up...The nesting season was not that wet and cold...

Perhaps more will show up eventually...There is still a lot of hay and tall foliage that would make it tough to see poults at this time..

Stopped by camp this morning to hopefully get a shot or two at the family of woodchucks that have moved in under my shed. Around 7am, I saw a hen in my plot right behind the cabin. As she crossed into the yard, I saw that she had 12 poults (about the size of pigeons) with her! They pecked around in the yard, passing 5 yards from the cabin, before heading to the clover plot across the lane. They fed around for almost 2hrs, before moving on! I haven't seen that many poults with one hen now for about 12 years! Hopefully it's a sign that the population is rebounding!

• Like 3

Thats great to hear...I'm wondering for those that are seeing poults...what is your raccoon population looking like?

I have been getting more raccoon that deer or turkey on cams for the past couple of years...and have plans in play to rid us of as many as possible this  coming hunting season hunting season...I believe that they are they biggest problem we have concerning game birds....

Edited by growalot

Thats great to hear...I'm wondering for those that are seeing poults...what is your raccoon population looking like?

I have been getting more raccoon that deer or turkey on cams for the past couple of years...and have plans in play to rid us of as many as possible this  coming hunting season hunting season...I believe that they are they biggest problem we have concerning game birds....

I dusted off the traps for the past 4 years, for the sole purpose of thinning out the nest raiders! It's a pain trapping during bow season (intrusion, smell like bait, dealing with critters, .22 cracking, etc...). Still have wayyyy too many around, but I'm also surrounded by corn and apple orchards, which attracts them. Don't see as many around on my cams or see as many tracks in the mud as I use to. Can only hope my efforts are helping the turkey population...

• Like 1

I've never seen them  here on Long Island before this year.  But, I've seen two hens with groups of about eight poults.  Unfortunately, they were both right near roads and I'm pretty sure that at least one of them was run over.

Harvested 4 coon last year. Have had another 5 hit on the road this year. I like to thin them out, and still many more fill in. I've heard way to many, while turkey hunting also. I'm trapping this year, in hope to reduce numbers even more. We're just loaded.

I'm sighting turkey poults here daily now. I was worried for a while, like others seeing hens with 0 poults. Their starting to show with very late hatched chicks.

Can't see them with my naked eye. Video brings them in nicely.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I am no longer worried and will post the picks soon to show why... :yahoo: Walk down drive 2 hens 6 robin sized poults...go down to pull card on a new area I'm checking...deep woods clover plot...turkeys and poults everywhere..along with does and fawn.. one fork horn...happy camper

I have 2 main go to spots to turkey hunt...this is one...They love the seclusion of being in the middle of the woods...I also have 2 watering tubs near plot areasand hinged bedding....hard to tell just how many poults there are...for they are so small in the clover...some I caught by movement from one pic to another and enlarged pic......last pic poults are tiny....but thats better than not here at all ;)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I drove up on the property this morning to replace a set of bearings on my discs.

There were two hens there , probably the same two I saw during gobbler season.

One hen had one pheasant sized poult. The other hen had about six  smaller poults, perhaps only 2-3 weeks old..

A few is better than none...

Have 4 hens hanging around my house. Between the 4 hens about 30 poults. One batch ate pretty big compared to other three hens. Other day they were out eating my blueberries off the bush. I went out to shoo away and surprisingly got real close to them until they scattered..

Mr. B got home a bit ago...big smile..." You do not need to worry about turkey population!''' He crested hill at drive and was stopped by 3 hens with 17 crow sized poults crossing from our place across the road to farmers clover feild next to our house....I just glasses feild in the rain...I see hen noggins looking around clover is deep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Driving home from camp I spotted this grouppost-3146-14095290828401_thumb.jpgthen about another 100 yards down the road saw a lone hen with poults that were no bigger then baby chickens very late birth. Then towards then end of the road I saw another good size flock of hens. Saw prolly close to 40 birds on less then 5 miles

• Like 2