Beachfront camping recommendations?

crappyice

Any suggestions for a family of five (kids are 9&10) looking for beachfront camping. We live 20 minutes outside of NYC and are looking for tent sites near/along a swimming beach. Checked out montauk but are bot big ans of "parking lot" camping sandwiched between trailers and rvs. Willing to travel 4 hours or so. Spent some time on resrevamerica but their descriptions often don't give a real-feel write up

Drive to the Delaware River Water Gap.  Rent a canoe or raft from adventuresports.com.  They drive you up the river (as far as you want to go) then you paddle your way down river.  Tons of camp sites along the river with designated firepits.  All camp sites are single sights and far apart in a way that you will always be completely secluded.  Grab a PA fishing license while you're at it and fish along the river.  adventuresports will pick you up at the end of the river on the day you tell them you'll get there and they take you back to your car.

You can bring your own boat/canoe.  I see people do it.  There are several boat launches along the river.  I just don't know what the rules are for that since I've never bought my own.  Plus, you wouldn't get the pick service if  you bring you own boat.

Born,Raise,Worked and Lived on L.I. my whole life.I never tent camped there.Most County and State parks were almost booked up a year ahead.Tent Camped Southern and Northern zones of NY. + NJ.,Mass.,Pa. 

The only beachfront camping was in my 4WD.PU with a camper on the back.99% surfishing,North and South shores

Some nice campgrounds along or near Rt. 9 and the Taconick state Parkway,Rt.17, Rt. 209

Buy a campground directory..

Thanks elo...did the water gap trip with my wife...not sure how the kids would do or honest,y how my wife would do navigating the canoe with one kid while I have two in mine...

Lurking...I the you are revering to Clarence Fahnstock state park...that's out "regular" spot and we live all it has to offer(fishing, hiking, swimming beach n a lake,) Looking for something different.

I just returned from Castaways in Ocean City Maryland. They have a lot going on. You should look into Assateague island camping. I checked it out one day. Looks to be as good as it gets for ocean front camping. It's the place with the wild horses.

post-10-0-56136300-1404700915_thumb.jpg

Edited by ELMER J. FUDD

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pic Elmer,  Assateague is beautiful.  The island is great.   http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/marylandcamping.htm

When we were there we stayed in a motel in Chincoteague but the camping at the national park like you said looked fantastic!  If there go to Bill's Seafood in Chincoteaque, fantastic seafood and inexpensive!