Bow Hunting is put away for another year

Doc

Well, everything is hung up or put back on the shelves for another year. Now it's time for revenge with the thunder-pole. Just finished checking out the Ithaca ....... awesome!!! That poor old gun is going on it's 41st year and has paid for itself many times over with many pounds of venison and a whole bunch of hours of flawless operation, and deadly accuracy. I'm ready. Stand is ready for tomorrow and most of the stuff is packed and ready for action. I got a nice shiny new blaze orange hunting coat that does a good job of absorbing most of that 12 guage punch. Not only that, but boy am I orange ..... lol. Life is good.

I don't do the late archery season so now that bowhunting is put away it will stay put away. I probably will dig out the stuff beginning in January and do some 15 yard shots in the basement just to bust through the winter blahs a bit. I might dig out my old tournament stuff and see what I can do with that these days.

Doc

I put my archery gear away yesterday am . Got the gun hunting gear ready . Talked to my sister in law about where we would sit tomorrow am . I am tempted to sit in her upper pasture lot ( horses will be in the barn ) . The deer often come out of the small gulley , cross the pasture and go into some thick stuff on the neighbor's property . I'll take the ML instead of the shotgun .

I put my archery gear away yesterday am . Got the gun hunting gear ready . Talked to my sister in law about where we would sit tomorrow am . I am tempted to sit in her upper pasture lot ( horses will be in the barn ) . The deer often come out of the small gulley , cross the pasture and go into some thick stuff on the neighbor's property . I'll take the ML instead of the shotgun .

Somebody should make a nice blaze-orange blanket for the horses ;D

After the gun season is over, get out there and start the scouting process. Drag the bow down to the nearest shooting range, maybe even join a winter league. If you haven't already, this might be the year to buy some maintenance equipment (bow press, etc.) and start learning (on a cheap 2nd hand bow) how to perform some of the upkeep, maintenance, and experiments on your own.  Never can know too much about your equipment and how it all works. There's so many ways to stay active with the bow to help pass time until the next season.

Before you know it, you'll be hanging stands again for next year's bowhunt :) .

Doc

Had the worst bow season to date.

Looking forward to Gun - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of everyone of the hunting seasons i hate this the most but due to the lack of meet in the freezer i think i will be out a lot over the course of the next week ??? .

After tomorrow it will be time to hit some big tracks of timber company land and i might make it over to Allegany State park and try and poke around in some of the back sections away from the masses.

Not to many guys want to quarter and pack out a deer so hopefully i can find some relative peace and quite.

After bowhunting pretty hard since opening day and averaging around 3 days a week, I feel like I am just getting going. Just because the shotgun season has officially started doesn't mean that we need to put away the bows! I for one, don't pick up a gun anymore for deer hunting- I just can't stand the sound of that blast on opening day. I do realize that I am the exception to this idea, but the shotgun just doesn't do anything for me anymore. Bowhunting is simply the best! I am going to give it my all until the very last day of the deer season to get it done with my stick and string.

I love both seasons. Yes bow season is my preferred way of hunting, but my old shotgun is yet another way to experience hunting and to celebrate the old traditions and maybe occasionally set things straight between me and a couple of deer that formerly enjoyed rubbing my nose in the shortcomings of my bow. ;D

Doc

I just hunted Saturday morning, after my Dad was shot at last year I decided that hunting opening weekend of gun season is probably not the smartest move.  A few guys on the team had bullets fly into their tree!  I think I'll keep the bow out just in case I get antsy in December - although I would be much more likely to pull out the Muzzleloader!

I know how it feels to have lead thrown at you. Happened to me twice on state land so i gave that up and then once on private land so now opening day is reserved for one of three places where i know EVERY ONE that is hunting on the property.

Even with that i still worry about the morons on neighboring properties unloading at random.