Cam Movements

heavuser

This year I decided to try cell cams out. 

They are a game changer....

I had quite a few deer patterned, each camera had action on it at least every other day since September. It got to the point where I was naming bucks.

BUT, for some reason, this last week my cameras have been completely dead. No movement, 4 days in a row, no deer. Previously, leading up to my dry spell, I had does running from bucks, the movement was constant.

The only thing that changed was the weather.... It went from constant 45degree days to in the 70s on a regular basis.

Could the heat altered their patterns that much?

Should I leave everything as is and see if the cold weather shifts their movements again?

What do you guys think?

If they are chasing or locked down they don’t stay on the same pattern.  Also just because you don’t have them on camera doesn’t mean they aren’t there. 2 weeks ago I had a big 6 walk just within range of my cell camera while I was on stand and he walked the other way never triggering the camera.

3 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Either heat or lockdown.  Nothing to be alarmed about.

Lockdown? 

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Also just because you don’t have them on camera doesn’t mean they aren’t there. 2 weeks ago I had a big 6 walk just within range of my cell camera while I was on stand and he walked the other way never triggering the camera.

Very true, I've been told this before. I guess I was just curious as they were all over the cam before.

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

The big shuffle has started. There is no more pattern until the last doe is bred.

Yea, this pretty much started right about the pre rut.

2 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Total free for all now. Could be any one’s guess as to when and where bucks will show. I thinks thats half the fun anyways….

For sure!

This year has really been my first year learning their movements. The cams really helped me figure things out.

Thanks for the responses gents. 

10 hours ago, heavuser said:

Lockdown?

The rut is a whole cycle.  Lockdown is the part of the cycle where the does are actually bred.  When this happens, a buck and doe pair off, often for 24 hours.  They hang out and do the deed, usually in a secluded location.  Romantic!  Those pairs are MIA because they aren't moving around much and aren't on a regular pattern.  They're holed up in a thick spot, out of the way spot, oddball spot.  

Hope that explains it a little.  Maybe someone else can chime in.  The basic idea is that they are busy gettin' busy, so they don't walk by your blind/treestand.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

The rut is a whole cycle.  Lockdown is the part of the cycle where the does are actually bred.  When this happens, a buck and doe pair off, often for 24 hours.  They hang out and do the deed, usually in a secluded location.  Romantic!  Those pairs are MIA because they aren't moving around much and aren't on a regular pattern.  They're holed up in a thick spot, out of the way spot, oddball spot.  

Hope that explains it a little.  Maybe someone else can chime in.  The basic idea is that they are busy gettin' busy, so they don't walk by your blind/treestand.

Good Explanation, Tad early for lock down I would guess but they are moving far and wide. I only have 2 bucks on the hit list down on the Tier farm and they both disappeared for over a week, just started getting phone pic’s of them again and now during daylight so today starts the 3 week trip down to try and take one of the two out. We had farm does bred during October last fall so it’s totally possible there are a few does coming into estrus this early. Now is the time to be charging the “Beat’s” and sitting all day.  

Edited by Four Seasons
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, heavuser said:

This year I decided to try cell cams out. 

They are a game changer....

I had quite a few deer patterned, each camera had action on it at least every other day since September. It got to the point where I was naming bucks.

BUT, for some reason, this last week my cameras have been completely dead. No movement, 4 days in a row, no deer. Previously, leading up to my dry spell, I had does running from bucks, the movement was constant.

The only thing that changed was the weather.... It went from constant 45degree days to in the 70s on a regular basis.

Could the heat altered their patterns that much?

Should I leave everything as is and see if the cold weather shifts their movements again?

What do you guys think?

Deer move by line of sight. Leaves are basically off the trees now as opposed to last week when they were still clinging. This opens up travel paths.

• Like 1