Another whatizzit pic?

philoshop

attachicon.gifwtf2.JPG

attachicon.gifwtf1.JPG

Only shot I got of it.

I won't even mention what it looks like to me, because I really want some fresh eyes on it before I come to a conclusion. 

Hopefully it's one of those wineglass/two faces kinds of thing and I'm just not seeing it right. Otherwise :fie:

Did you go back and investigate the area for tracks?  I'd do that.............

How about take something over like a stuffed animal and put it the exact area to see if you can get a size reference to help cypher out WTH??  I'd do that too............

Looking forward to a follow up report!

I'll investigate further and see if I can get a size reference, check for the stick/tail, etc.

I need to check the nearby ladder stand anyway.

I went back and checked some pics from a couple weeks ago and didn't see the stick, but we've had some t-storms since then.

BTW, it's the same cam and same angle as the one from my "bachelor party" post just down the page.

No fire swamp here, but I'm only 25 miles from the Zurich Bog. Very similar lore. :)

It's a Cougar-tailed Pigchuck.

Just so you know, it's the first official sighting, so I'm claiming credit. ROFL

I sent the pics, w/critter and w/o, to a few friends. A couple of wildlife biologists, an old trapping buddy, and a photographer who might be able to clean things up a bit. We'll see.

In the meantime, the original pic makes a pretty cool background scene on my monitor.

• Like 1

First of all, that is a tail.

It's not a beaver or a muskrat. Their tails are black and hairless.

Its not a pig. No pig has a tail that long that straight or that thick.

Its not a woodchuck they do not have tails that long.

It's not  possum. Wrong color.

Obviously it is a picture distortion, or something with its head twisted in a way to make the head-shape unidentifiable

If I had to guess, I would say a housecat with something in it's mouth, and the head turned away. I know that is a stretch, but the tail shape, the color and 90% of it's shape says housecat. It's just the area around the head where something weird-looking is happening.

You could try sending the pictures to the D.E.C., they can also help to identify what it is.  If you were out on Long Island, I'd say something from Plum Island, or the Lab..   Was there any tracks near the spot?  It does have apig-like body, but the tail is like a dog.  Is there any trails that people might hike near by? maybe someone just has an ugly dog that got away...

This is 100 yards behind my house. The only dog in the neighborhood that might run through there is Louie, my friend's beagle. Lots of different critters show up on the cam including feral cats. I've gotten to know the cats, and none of them are that color. Black, black/white, and brown/white.

Here's the backstory: I stopped by the trailcam to swap the card on my walk farther west to see if I could get some real camera time on a field where deer have been feeding. I just love sneakin' up on 'em. When I pulled the card I saw that the batteries in the cam were dead, so I swapped the card and stopped a couple hours later to pick up the cam on my way back. It was dark by the time I downloaded the images and saw the whatizzit, and it rained overnight. No mysterious/unidentifiable tracks were evident when I went back to look more closely. Just the usual suspects. Deer, 'coon, turkey, 'possum, etc. This would be when the pic on the right was taken in the collage above. There was no stick there that could be seen as a tail.

Experienced people who have seen the pic are saying beaver, and that's what I thought at first glance, just by the body shape. But then there's the tail, and the fact that beavers don't normally spend time in the middle of Seneca Lake and then wander 300+ plus yards inland across a state highway. Lots of beavers at the ends of the lake for sure, but in the wide open middle?

Camera glitch due to low batteries crossed my mind, but other than the whatizzit it's a pretty clear image.

A prank by a neighbor? That's usually a butt-crack pic, heh-heh. Not sure how someone would stage that  w/o the cam taggin' 'em on the getaway.

Prank by yours truly? Not really my style, and for sure I wouldn't take it this far.

Good idea on the DEC. I'll pass it along and see what they have to say.

Wish I had been running the cam in video!

Thanks everyone,

Mark