Cooking Canadian Geese

adkbuck

Does anyone have a way to make a Canadian Goose a Palatable meal other than making jerky out of it?  Just wondering as we have access to great Canadian goose hunting but all the Canadian Goose dinners cooked by my friends and relations have resulted in my eating some of the bacon on top of the goose but not much eating much of the goose itself.   Thanks.

Skin the goose..Filet the breasts... Skin out and cut off the legs and thighs. There  is as much meat on the legs/thighs as there is on the breasts.

Do them in a slow cooker with onions and red wine...

Done this way it reminds you more of beef than of poultry.

Save all the breast, thigh etc you want and freeze it.  Take it to a sausage maker and go nuts.................

I did it one year with 35 birds.  The summer sausage was wonderful and made for great xmas gifts.

Leave it to a hunter to solve this problem. Ernie Mellor, a barbecue pitmaster and an ardent waterfowler from Memphis, Tennessee, has devised a method for roasting wild geese that yields a supermoist result that drips with flavor. For hunters wishing to adhere to the Victorian tradition of a roasted Christmas goose, Mellor is as close to Santa Claus as it gets. He brines his geese overnight in a mixture of water, salt, pepper, and brown sugar-"the salt helps to moisten the meat," he says, "plus you're getting a little sweet flavor from the sugar"-and then, prior to roasting, he sears the skin in hot bacon fat to lock in the juices. He also roasts his geese over a pool of liquid in the bottom of the pan ("anything from chicken broth to Sprite with as many herbs and spices as you like"), and that, along with the brining and searing, helps ensure that the meat will bear no resemblance to coal.

His other secret? A digital meat thermometer. "A good meat thermometer is particularly important with a goose," he stresses, since the line between cooked and overcooked is so dramatically thin. Mellor hauls his from the oven when the thigh temperature hits 160 degrees, and then he lets the goose sit uncovered for 10 to 20 minutes to allow the juices to settle evenly in the meat.

Juices in the meat of a wild bird? For a goose hunter sharing his largesse on Christmas Day, that's all the bounty one could ever want beneath the tree. "Ho, ho, ho," indeed.

Sounds right... found here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2004/11/your-goose-cooked

"Corn" the breasts like a beef brisket and simmered it's not bad. The thighs aren't bad for cacciatore, but take longer to cook than chicken would. I also use the thighs for gumbo or cassoulet. Most of the time I use the breasts for sausage or kielbasa, I mix 50% goose breast & 50% pork, with a pound or 2 of fatback mixed in. I've had the breast marinated & cooked like a London broil, the dog & I liked it, but the rest of the family turned their nose up at it. 

Find an 8 inch wide pine board approximately 1 foot long.  Stiff the goose with onions celery and your favorite seasoning  Stick it in the oven on 350 for three hours.  Take it out throw the goose away and eat the board.  much tastier

• Like 1

one whole  goose breast place in slower cooker add one bottle of BBQ sauce  1 shot of Jack Daniels a medium onion 4 to 5 cloves of garlic  place on high for one hour then to low for 7 hours take two forks and brake apart meat in to small strip cook on low for another hour

place on roll and enjoy  

my family love it his way

• 2 weeks later...

I have a really good way to cook those honkers.....take the breasts or whatever part of he bird you use skin removed and place in a crock pot. Then add an onion ,carrots, celery ,garlic, one half cup of chic stock and one cup Marsala wine. Cook till the meat falls apart about two hrs. Then remove the meat and some of the veg and a little of he liquid pulse in a food processor and pulse until mixed well. Check for seasoning. ....s and p . Now mix about a cup of ricotta cheese in the mix....do not process it just mix it in. Now get a package of wonton wrappers and place one tablespoon of filling in the center. Lightly brush the edges with water and place another wrapper on top and press to seal. Make sure you get all the air out or you will have a blowout. Now gently boil in water for 3 min. And remove. Now blade three tab spoons of butter in a frying pan and a few fresh sage leaves. Let the butter turn lightly brown and add the ravioli.share a few minutes and serve......hope this helps

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1