How do you feel about your bow season

noodle one

6 for me. Saw a good bit of activity. Shot at two does (one was at a different range than I thought and my arrow deflected right before contact on the other-both escaped unharmed). saw 2 different 4 pointers - no shots on either. Still waiting for my first bow success so lower than happy score come from my disappointment.  I still plan on hunting some Westchester areas over the next few weeks with my fingers crossed. Not quite ready to throw in the towel.

I guess I would give it a 5. I had a few hunts wrecked by persistant small game hunters, and some hikers and bikers, but there were a whole lot of great days out doing what I love with reasonable weather and a lot of deer sightings (both bucks and does). I didn't get the job done, but still had a great time for most of it.

Doc

season shouldnt be judge by a number even if i dont shoot anything just being out seeing the occasional nice buck that you have no chance getting him to come in seeing a bear dont get me wrong i had a tough season but nothing better than being out in the woods and every twig that breaks dreaming about the buck your probably not going to going to shoot i still think thats what hunting is all about manage to get a nice doe with the bow bout 15 yards

john

For me, a season has to be a bit special for a 10 rating. A ten would definitely have to include a harvest (after all that is the object of me carrying a bow instead of a camera). In fact a ten indicates a perfect season that just doesn't get any better ..... that would require a special kind of deer .....  ;) .

Doc

For me, a season has to be a bit special for a 10 rating. A ten would definitely have to include a harvest (after all that is the object of me carrying a bow instead of a camera). In fact a ten indicates a perfect season that just doesn't get any better ..... that would require a special kind of deer .....  ;) .

Doc

Like...

Doc

Like...

Like .... some kind of over-weight, multi-pointed, grizzly-buck. That along with every other aspect of the season being perfect might rank up to a ten. I wouldn't expect too many "tens" in a lifetime. And I sure never want to the other extreme experience (a zero or a one) .... lol.

For me, a season has to be a bit special for a 10 rating. A ten would definitely have to include a harvest (after all that is the object of me carrying a bow instead of a camera). In fact a ten indicates a perfect season that just doesn't get any better ..... that would require a special kind of deer .....  :) .

Doc , you and I must look at deer hunting in a difference light. Some days when I hunt and don't harvest a deer, I still rate that the day as a (10+) ten plus day because of all that I had seen and what happen during the hunt. When I bow hunt there are many days when I have a buck in front of me and he dosn't know I am there and I can draw on him without his knowing that I am there , to me that is a (10+) ten plus day. I don't care if it is big or small because anyone that takes a deer with a bow should be happy. I know people who have never taken a deer with a bow, let alone a buck. My father  hunted for years and never toke a buck with a gun. Poeple are so greedy today that if they do not take a trophy deer they are unhappy. Any year some one can take a deer that has to be a (10) ten.                                         

Doc

quote]

Like...

Like .... some kind of over-weight, multi-pointed, grizzly-buck. That along with every other aspect of the season being perfect might rank up to a ten. I wouldn't expect too many "tens" in a lifetime. And I sure never want to the other extreme experience (a zero or a one) .... lol.

I never drew the bow on a deer. I saw several good bucks but nothing close to shoot. I no longer can hunt from tree stand so I use ground blinds. I had one deer jump over a rock wall next to one natural blind I have in the early light, almost pushed me off my chair. Had another doe bed down within 3 feet of a blind I was in. So it was good  season for me. I wish I could report I got a good buck but the cards was not for me this season. It will be tag soup. My buddy got a 7 point with the gun today. I had our NY city hunters shoot a 615 am, by the light of there 4 x 4 as they drive to there stands on the back mountain. They also use the 4 x 4 to drive deer down to several watchers etc. They got 3 this morning from there shots. But for me this is not our sport of hunting.

Bill

If I had to put a number on it, 8. I personally had a struggle making it count and only got one doe(110#). I had 4 shots counting the doe, one clean miss, one tree, and a buck that I didn't hit hard enough to get. My brother got a very nice 9 while still hunting that weighed 160. Overall I hunted the most hours ever, saw 34 doe's and 4 bucks. It has been a frustrating season but good still, even though we are in to gun season low in the deer take column I have hopes of making it back up. I will have to pick up a gun and hunt for the first time in years. Ah yes and all of our hunting was from the ground this year.

Oh yea that buck I hit Friday has a twist, we tracked him for a long way and he had returned to rutting activity and as we were within sight of a road we saw some guys road hunting in a van....one minute later we heard..BANG!. Yup you guessed it after tracking even further we found that they had shot that buck. What a way to end the season!

Well lets see.

Used a prior year tag for the 1st time NZ since I got into Bow hunting.

Took a buck on a bow/muzz tag, & filled a dmp.

Best year with the Bow yet.  8)

Some determination especially the opening week through all that rain and preseason work on the new lease paid off. Venison still seems to work out to about 500$ a pound but hey!

I am going to have to say mine was a .7 this year was the worst year i have ever had last year was a 1.3 . the largest buck i seen this year was a small 4 point and i know there are big deer in the woods i am hunting. I am beginning to think some one is dumping the deer away scent around my tree stands the stuff you use to keep the deer out of the garden. I think in my own words new york should put a restriction on the antlers and start getting after people harvesting illeagal deer. The DEC needs to step up there patrol . I am not saying they are doing a bad job but in my thoughts in the area i hunt could be stepped up. I have not seen a DEC officer in the area for almost two years and i know there are bandits in this area . Some times I kick my self in the ass for not getting into this field. All from the sad bowhunter that has not seen shit for the past two years. :-[ 

A number rating...maybe a 7.

Had some great days. Had many slow days.

First year I could hunt when ever I wanted to.

Early season I passed on a couple of does, in hindsight...should a ....

Saw 5-6 different bucks at ~50 yards.

Had a bruiser charge my can calls on Halloween weekend.

Too busy watching his partner before I realized he was coming.

Saw hin again a couple of weeks later at 50 yards.

He lives and I'm eating my tags, unless late ML is more productive.

Very limited sucess with grunt & bleat calls. No responses to  my scents/attractants.

Weather was extremely unseasonable with the warm trend and the damned winds.

Very few doe sightings, which has me puzzled. Typically see a lot!

Early apples kind of threw my normal hunting pattern way out of wack.

All in all - Got to hunt a lot, saw several bucks and had an exciting encounter!!!!

I would give my season a 4. Saw "less than half" the deer I normally see, even though I hunted as much or even more than I have in years past. I hunted hard and put in my time (went out 28 times)!! The weather sucked, way to much wind and rain, and it was warm. But I did get my best bow buck yet.

id say mine was an 8.  I took a doe on columbus day and my biggest buck with a bow on 11/14.  Between Long Island and Schoharie county Ive seen 9 bucks on stand.  I hit an 8 point high in the back of the second day of the archery season in suffolk and never recovered it.  That one really messed with my head for a while.  Good season overall. 

It is hard to not say 10.  I have taken many deer, but this year I got my first (and second) with a bow, including an eight point.  I saw turkeys most days I was out.  I saw deer most days.  In honesty, I guess I would have to put it around an 8.  There are very few days I go out hunting that I would rate below a 5.

I go with a 1. Deer weren't there for any of us at camp. No deer were seen from our stands only still hunting! But there also wasn't anything, no coyotes (not a bad thing), no squirrels, no chipmunks! If we were lucky we would see a few small finches or whatever they are. You know its bad when we talk about the birds we see.