What would you spend?

I have the option to purchase right under 90 acres in Rennselaer  County. The property does not have any road frontage but a right of way would be included in the contract. Around 25 acres would be considered good tillable land. Another 10 or 15 is swamps and the rest is woods. The area was logged around 8 years ago. The land would never be able to get developed as you need road frontage to build. I certainly don't need the land as my family owns 200 acres that I will always hunt but its something I am considering still. I am young in my 20's and in time the area will be fit to be logged again. I know its nearly impossible to guess without specifics, but ballpark what would you consider to be a fair price.

Talk to professionals in the area. By that I mean a real estate lawyer,who has handled sales of that type of land in that area.

My good friend was looking for hunting land,I hooked him up with my nephew who is a lawyer and does sales in the area. The land was way over priced,it was scurb land. Due to size shape,terrain it could not be farmed,not good for building lots and the like.

It had very little value other then rec. use. He got it at far less then asking price.

+1 on passing up on the deal, no road frontage/landlocked parcel means little value in the land for various reasons, biggest problem for me would be its resale value, if and when you decide you want to sell it you will be stuck with it until you find the one person who just wants to use it for seasonal recreation

On the flip side if you can snag it for a cheap price and somehow buy an adjoining lot with road frontage you just hit the jackpot

Agreed!! 

The absence of road frontage is my main concern. Luckily my family's land runs the entire length of one side of the parcel so access is not a big deal. I have spoke to a Realtor and she believed the ag land should fetch around $1400 an acre,with the swamp land around 650$ and acre. The woodland somewhere in the middle.I thought these figures seemed high but what would I know. Its only worth what someone else will pay. The problem is with no road frontage what someone else will pay just strictly for hunting or another recreation activity seems low. If I purchased I believe I would hold onto it indefinitely although its always nice to have a quick "out" for an unforeseen circumstance. I could buy it today for 50K. Thanks for the replies. 

Make sure the right of way is stoneable and driveable..you can't depend on the family land for access (things happen) when it comes time to log you need a way to get back there that won't be cost prohibitive. Price may be a little high for landlocked property.. how can equipment get to fields? So its not really farmable unless wide equipment is allowed on right of way.. permant easement may be better

G-Man is right...I'd make sure that the "family" land was a lock in sure thing legally before considering...Who knows even with a iron clad right of way...which I would insist on being Allowed to purchase  a 50 ft R.O.W. not  an easement....What would be built on road frontage?...you could end up behind a housing development or industrial park when your40

Also make sure the ROW is legit and that your lawyer is working for you.  I tell you this because around 10 years ago or so a couple of city guys purchased 17 acres which was landlocked in the town of Bethel with a ROW.  When hunting season came they showed up to go hunting and the owner of the property with the supposed ROW called the Sheriff.  Turned out that they had no ROW and no way to access their new property.  My buddy who owns surrounding property that attaches to that 17 acres took the land off their hands for a song  and a dance.

Bottom line... be very cautious!!

Be careful with right of way stuff like others have said. It's true that land doesn't go down in value but some land isn't worth much and never will be. This falls into that category but it's still land and can be useful. Make sure access will be there to stay and bigger equipment could fit through.... 18' should be enough to fit a 6 row combine head through or a bigger discbine mower.

Depends on where it's at but those prices the realtor gave are on the high side of fair. They'd be more accurate if you had just a small amount of road frontage. That's my opinion.

The ROW is a very simple question to get answered. It is on the deed/map if it exists. description, location and width is usually included. The property I lease has a one mile ROW and isn't a problem. The land owners of the land it passes through can not do anything to impede our access.

I don't understand the comments that without road frontage it can't be built on. Where are you guys getting that? I can understand for a truly land locked property but why one with a deeded ROW?

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. Basically with this deal I make the rules, Ill get my lawyer to make the ROW completely legal. the landowner wants to keep his house and 2 fields and me to figure out the rest. When I say "family land" its my parents land and I've lived here all my life and in time it will be mine anyways. Sorry for not being clear. I believe in my county you need a minimum amount of road frontage to build on even though I will never plan on doing that. In reality I'm being totally selfish and want to stop anyone who may buy the whole deal, house and all, from my neighbors  and turn it into something I don't want.

yep a falling out divorce, illness anything can lead to family land being sold. i would get at least 25ft min row. if you can get more a log landing by the road is worth having. maybe 50ft wide. other than that if you inherit your familys land you'll have a nice addition. i say if as my friends father in law sold his camp out from under him and hiis wife cause the price was right..... they had hunted it for 20 years