A couple of general camping tips for the summer

turkeyfeathers

Baked potatos in fire wrapped in foil - stick an aluminum gutter nail in center so they also cook inside. Have eaten way too many burnt on the outside and raw in the middle

Cooler corn- for lots of corn on the cob- shuck, throw in plastic cooler-pour boiling water into cooler- when water is cooled,corn is done. Can't overcook and no hot kitchen

Carmelized onions- core white onion, put on foil, pat of butter, 2 beef boullion cubes,another pat of butter. Fold up foil. On campfire or grill on high heat for about half hour. Should be browned. Eat petals like a snack. Just like onions from French Onion soup

Just a few mainstays we utilize a lot

• Like 2

I have to ask how you came up with the aluminum nail trick??And do you bury them in the coals like most people do or put them on the cooking grate close to the coals?The corn and caremelised onion trick will be done next time I am camping for sure thanks!!!

I have to ask how you came up with the aluminum nail trick??And do you bury them in the coals like most people do or put them on the cooking grate close to the coals?The corn and caremelised onion trick will be done next time I am camping for sure thanks!!!

After whining about eating too many burnt on the outside and raw in the middle taters to my brother he told me of this trick. Throw them right in the coals. 

Cooler corn- for lots of corn on the cob- shuck, throw in plastic cooler-pour boiling water into cooler- when water is cooled,corn is done. Can't overcook and no hot kitchen

One thing to be careful of is that although the cooler plastic inside surface is food grade plastic some coolers may not be rated for contact with boiling water.   The inner surface of the cooler is made of FDA-quality polypropylene  but the inner  layers of insulating material could have plasticizers that could leach out due to the high heat and be harmful if consumed.   Just a thought. 

Headed out this weekend camping so thanks for the tips. We doctor up our smores too. Don't use just Hershey bars, try the Hershey cookies and cream bars and Reeses peanut butter cups. 

Got some Elk steaks from my FIL off his bull from November. Can't wait to get them over some hot coals with a touch of salt and pepper, mmm my mouth is watering already.

Last tip, fill a gallon jug with water and set it in middle of tent or cabin. Place headlamp around water jug with light facing the jug and you have a cheap lantern. 

• 3 weeks later...