Recently got my pistol permit

I heard the next one is in Boise Idaho. Is that near you...LOL. Give us a bit of info and maybe some knows of some near you.

As far as the pistol. A bit of info there would also help. What experience do you have with pistols? what do you plan on doing with it and how often? Is it going to be a daily carry? only when in the woods? hunting?

Chenango county requires you to take a safety course within a year of being issued the permit, and you need to take a course to carry concealed.  I already know that the course in my town is this weekend and i'll be outta town....i'm not opposed to traveling wherever in the region.  I wouldn't carry daily, but I would want a more compact 9mm, maybe .45 acp...just wanted to know what guns some of you prefer over others....obviously it'll come down to what feels right in my hand

Not sure what county you are in but don't believe any require a class to apply for carry concealed. You just apply. Usually waiting awhile after you receive your target/hunting permit. If you're in Erie County....good luck ! 

As far as what gun/caliber to get for CC. Keep in mind summer and warm weather is hard to conceal a larger gun than say a Beretta Tomcat .32 or Ruger LCP 380. Winter it's easy to stuff a larger gun and caliber in the waistband and throw a jacket over it. IMO get 2 for carry. One warm weather carry and one for carry when you can conceal it a little better. A loaded .45 home in the safe doesn't do any good if you're not carrying it. Beretta .32 Tomcat never leaves my pocket til Fall when I can carry others.

Chenango county requires you to take a safety course within a year of being issued the permit, and you need to take a course to carry concealed.  I already know that the course in my town is this weekend and i'll be outta town....i'm not opposed to traveling wherever in the region.  I wouldn't carry daily, but I would want a more compact 9mm, maybe .45 acp...just wanted to know what guns some of you prefer over others....obviously it'll come down to what feels right in my hand

Check out Rochester Personal Defense website. They offer classes all the time and have a varied schedule and class offering.

http://www.safeinrochester.com/

The ruger lc9 has a long trigger pull but it is very compact and cheap to shoot and a lot of fun

I had $ in hand to buy this but the extra inch in length and height was huge in comparison to the LCP (380)  IMO the LCP is a pocket stuffer and the LC9 is not. I left without buying it as much as I had my heart set on it. 

• Like 1

I totally agree the 380 is smaller that's the gun I was dead set on until I seen how much cheaper the 9mm ammo is so I bought the lc9 one day I'm still going to purchase the lcp when I get my permit upgraded to full carry

Edited by Red

Like many people said, it depends on purpose of the carry, for Hunting I use The Judge in .45 LC in a shoulder holster. Daily carry is SIG P250 in 9 mm in IWB Crossbreed holster (the best IMO). I also like Ruger LCR in .38 spc as my second option. I would suggest find the store with the range where you can try before you buy, that's the best option.When did you get that letter? If you got it with your permit then you are already SOL since its dated Jan 2013

I'm currently carrying a Smith and Wesson Shield in 40 cal with a Foxx IWB holster. Not one hiccup in over 600 rounds, I'm a fan. I get my ammo from Walmart for around 15 bucks a 100. Although its just junk the pistol handles in beautifully. I was torn between the shield and the XDS but I figured I would save my money to purchase a pistol that was fun to shoot and one I could potentially hunt with, with the money I saved. 

Copehunter, first off Copenhagen is nasty, try Kodiak, the only bear you will ever pinch, lol.

Second, there is a spot in Binghamton and the have a class on Wednesday July 23rd. Here is the link

http://longarmgroup.com/firearms-training-concealed-carry.asp

Their course is good for Broome, Tioga, and Chenango. I too got my permit in May this year so I will wait a while before I take a course. Need to get a pistol first. Still deciding and saving. 

get a 40 S&W, I carry a Glock, it's what my agency pushes more than anything else.  The 40 is a bit more stopping power than the 9, recoil is the same and ammo is more or less the same price.  The Glock is simple to operate (basically pull and fire, like a revolver), and very is reliable.  They aren't pretty but they do the job.  Believe me.  

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. They come in 9mm and 40 cal. Both are the same size. Single stack mags make for a thin. flat easily concealed pistol. They are high quality and totally reliable. Right around 500 bucks. I would go for the 40 cal. A lot more ass then the 9mm & very controllable.

• Like 1

The Shield is really nice, I carry one as an off duty. Also in 40.  

I carried the full sized M&P 45 for the last 10 years of my career. It replaced the S&W 4566 that I loved. I wasn't crazy about the M&P because of the safety that was added as a CYA by my Dept. If your thumb just touched the safety, while firing, the gun would go back on safe and you would think you had a malfunction. The shield is a different story. Great gun.

• Like 1