What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

20161217_181954.thumb.jpg.cb8675453d1374

I'm down in Tallahassee for a wedding. So far I am not impressed with the food. Last night was the wedding and it was a basic veggies, mashed potatoes and beef brisket. Then they had 3 different types of cakes (vanilla, red velvet and chocolate). The brisket was Good..... the rest I wasn't impressed. It was actually held in Georgia. All I could think about was where I would set up a tree stand

20161217_174020.thumb.jpg.06ba791aa471af

The night before that was the rehearsal dinner they had collard greens, macaroni and cheese, a dish with shrimp,potatoes, sausage and corn on cob and fried chicken

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, 22Plinker said:

vegetable venison soup.  slight changes from my grandmothers recipe.   apple cider is the key :)

I notice it does not say secret recipe!! Please share I love veison soups and stews!! And pics are great! TY

Edited by Fletch

16 hours ago, Fletch said:

I notice it does not say secret recipe!! Please share I love veison soups and stews!! And pics are great! TY

The rest of what i made is already in the freezer, so i don't have pics.  This is based off my crockpot size (5qt) so adjust amounts to suit your slow cooker size.

2# cubed venison (small cubes preferred)

1.5 cups red potatoes (small cubes or baby potatoes)

1 cup chopped cellery

1.5 cups halved baby carrot

1 large tomato chopped

1 large sweet onion (half or a small onion will work depending on flavor preference)

3 tsp Italian spices

1.5 cups beef broth (squirrel broth works great if you hunt them too)

2.5 cups apple cider

1tsp cloves

2tsp minced garlic

1 small jar tomato sauce (pasta sauce or any red sauce will work)

1)  Add veggies and beef broth to crockpot.  Turn on High.

2)  Brown venison with 1/2 cup of apple cider until cider burns off.  Add seasoning to venison cubes towards the end.  keep browning the venison after all the liquid is gone for a couple minutes to get a good sear.  Don't worry if the meat sticks to the pan, we will be using this in the next step.  Add the meat to the slow cooker and turn well.

3)  Add 2 cups cider, cloves, red sauce and garlic to the pan you browned the meat int.  Simmer for a few minutes or until you get a slow boil.  Strain the liquid into the crockpot (to recover the cloves).  If you want more garlic you can add garlic back to the cooker at this point.

4)  Change slow cooker to Low and cook 5-6 hours.

• Like 1

I'm cooking pheasant one day next week for my cousin who has never had it. I was thinking about doing something with a mushroom and cream sauce. And maybe putting it with pasta. Any of you guys had anything you would recommend?   I know pheasant isn't that exotic but for somebody who doesn't eat wild game it's a start LOL

I'm cooking pheasant one day next week for my cousin who has never had it. I was thinking about doing something with a mushroom and cream sauce. And maybe putting it with pasta. Any of you guys had anything you would recommend?   I know pheasant isn't that exotic but for somebody who doesn't eat wild game it's a start LOL

This sounds good

http://www.sportingchef.com/pheasant-parmesan-mushroom-cream-sauce/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

This is a cool site.  Never heard of it.  Idk if you guys are familiar with this site (im sure some are), but i get a lot of game recipes from it. 

http://honest-food.net/

His newsletter is really good, it's worth signing up for.  His cookbook is very well done as well, makes a great gift for any hunter.

This was lunch today at works Christmas party.

Marinated grilled chicken, steak, corn, carrots, yellow squash, cauliflower, seasoned potatoes, fresh roll. Had meatballs, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip and hot apple crumble with a scoop of nilla ice cream for dessert. Nice spread. Won a bottle of wine and got a sweatshirt too. Also left early and got paid for full day. 

IMG_20161223_125134277.jpg

• Like 4