What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

7 hours ago, johnplav said:

“Boil 2 cups of water with Tender Quick (1 tablespoon per lb of venison), pickling spice, brown sugar, garlic and juniper berries (optional).   Once dissolved, pour over the roast (I use a large ziplock bag) and add enough cold water to fully cover the meat.  Let it sit in the fridge for at least a week; then rinse and simmer for a few hours until it is done to your liking.”   This was a leg roast but I also use front shoulder. 

I usually use the “football” roast from the hind quarter. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Baked smallmouth with potatoes

F32033AB-3034-44B4-A701-048D0D124C03.jpeg

They were biting pretty good on the upper Niagara yesterday.  I kept a few smaller ones for the freezer.  This 20-1/32” was my biggest of the season and a fitting way to end it.  

I hooked and landed it while the Bills were leading 21 to nothing.  Listing to them on the boat radio while fishing is way better than going to the game.  

In addition to beating up on the Washington football team, they kept all the annoying pleasure boaters at home.  They usually churn my favorite stretch of river into a whipping froth with their wakes on Sunday afternoons. 

D0D47EA1-6C17-4376-8582-2234EB34CE3C.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Walleye cheek scampi. Good stuff! 

IMG_20210928_170705793.jpg

Still some Ruby reds left I see.  I finished my last one out on the river Sunday, right after I landed my 5 fish limit of smallmouth.   I am not sure why, but they taste the best to me out on the water, when the sun is shining.

I don’t dare touch any alcohol prior to boating my limit of fish because it greatly inhibits my ability to detect the strike (bobbers and downriggers effectively circumvent that issue but I seldom use those any more).

I released the biggest bass .  I struggled a little to feel a smaller replacement strike, with one Ruby red and a Genny light in me.  My buddy was drinking twisted teas and Coors lights, almost from the start, and only managed one keeper bass and one short. 

I take my walleye cheeks raw, eaten right off the fillet knife, and washed down with a big swig of Genny cream ale.  Aside from a musky, it also looks like I will not get a walleye this year. 

The damn air show kept us off Lake Erie on opening weekend of bass this year. I usually always pick up one or two of them by accident then and there, or up on the St Lawrence while drifting jigs for bass.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

821c305e4777c8ca683abedf5b324c94.jpg
This cool day made we crave soup! Wild hog Italian sausage soup. So good!

A bit sad as that was the last of the wild hogs. That meat was way better than expected! No gator this year. And down to maybe 8-10 pounds of assorted venison products. The freezer is waiting for filling!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Still some Ruby reds left I see.  I finished my last one out on the river Sunday, right after I landed my 5 fish limit of smallmouth.   I am not sure why, but they taste the best to me out on the water, when the sun is shining.

I don’t dare touch any alcohol prior to boating my limit of fish because it greatly inhibits my ability to detect the strike (bobbers and downriggers effectively circumvent that issue but I seldom use those any more).

I released the biggest bass .  I struggled a little to feel a smaller replacement strike, with one Ruby red and a Genny light in me.  My buddy was drinking twisted teas and Coors lights, almost from the start, and only managed one keeper bass and one short. 

I take my walleye cheeks raw, eaten right off the fillet knife, and washed down with a big swig of Genny cream ale.  Aside from a musky, it also looks like I will not get a walleye this year. 

The damn air show kept us off Lake Erie on opening weekend of bass this year. I usually always pick up one or two of them by accident then and there, or up on the St Lawrence while drifting jigs for bass.

Yeah got a few Reds left, but i only drink a beer or two a week. I rarely if ever drink on the boat.  If i do it is one.  A DWI on the boat is the same as in a car and can lose your license etc.  And esp since I have a CDL, am a 19A DMV examiner, def driving instructor and run a drug and alcohol testig program, it just isnt in my best interest.  Hopingto get out another couple of times for walleyes and perch but the lure of hunting is a strong one!  

28 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Traditional last year's buck tenders for opening day eve dinner... planned on your basic season, sear and low temp roast unless someone has something to share. Good luck to all!

tenders.thumb.jpg.0fd8268b565757c4e64f7c087a0dad9e.jpg

Simple is best, let the meat shine!  Pull from oven when it hits 125 in the thickest part and let rest 5 minutes, slice and serve.  A little horseradish is nice too. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, johnplav said:

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.  @Robhuntandfishis the Walleye king of the forum!

only cause Andrew @TreeGuy cant seem to find his way to the lake these days!   

although i do have 2 more full packs of these in the freezer.......

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1