What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

This was my make, 6 months old. I was disappointed they skinned the head. So I cook in the over so I could the heat better. Not a lot of meat but tons of fat, it would have made such a mess in the smoker The meat was very tender. Worth it. I have one more head
IMG_20211219_152653489.thumb.jpg.603882d81fcb75b7f6eb356ea9301c05.jpg
IMG_20211219_103805902.thumb.jpg.b346d084809a80620bd24af9ad39edca.jpg

Bold undertaking there. The Greenhouse Tavern in Cleveland used to offer a BBQ’ed pigs head that was phenomenal. They are now closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paula said:

This was my make, 6 months old. I was disappointed they skinned the head. So I cook in the over so I could the heat better. Not a lot of meat but tons of fat, it would have made such a mess in the smoker The meat was very tender. Worth it. I have one more head

IMG_20211219_152653489.jpg

IMG_20211219_103805902.jpg

The skin is the best part

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Wow….looks good except I would need it cooked a touch longer.
What is the noticeable difference? Flavor? Texture?

Definitely more tender than a fresh hindquarter steak.  Almost fork tender.  Flavor was great, but it always it! 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, Paula said:

Very interesting Paula! I've never cooked or had such a meal but would be very open to it.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, Paula said:

We used to cook the head and make head cheese. Delicious the jowls are great smoked too.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Flounder

d5e600a0e9a99aa7e94d796bbb402d9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love flounder. My God as a kid we would head down to the harbor get some sand worms and catch 30-40 of them. Now very few. Flat fish these days is fluke. Flounder went out with the lobster in the LI sound. I would scuba dive and see so many lobster. Seems they all died off after spraying for mosquitoes. JMO

• Like 1

Love flounder. My God as a kid we would head down to the harbor get some sand worms and catch 30-40 of them. Now very few. Flat fish these days is fluke. Flounder went out with the lobster in the LI sound. I would scuba dive and see so many lobster. Seems they all died off after spraying for mosquitoes. JMO

That same year they sprayed I bought a few lobsta taps and brought them home from Hingham, Ma where I was courting my present wife… all lobsters dead the summer I dropped them in due to spraying!!! They are still “fishing” off some bridge by “Shitty” Island !!! Some 20 years later!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Very interesting Paula! I've never cooked or had such a meal but would be very open to it.

I would recommend it. I am not sure if I wasted more meat than we ate. I wouldn't change how I cooked it, only I would use a foul pan for easier clean up

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, johnplav said:

2 week old doe steak.  Age your meat @crappyice!

B2F25C13-1EA3-421A-95FD-E69DA6EA3A6F.jpeg

I think the value of whitetail deer meat, compared to antlers, would go way up if more hunters figured that “aging” thing out.   It always amazes me that some folks here, including one supposedly educated chef, do not seem to understand that venison is red meat and subject to rigor mortis, just like beef.

Many of them are eating their deer meat, right near the stage of maximum toughness, because of that.   Inadequate temperature control, during the aging process, is a lame excuse.  How hard is it to find an old refrigerator ?

Thats mine (probably from the 1950’s in the background).  I didn’t need it on that particular buck, which hung hide-on for 9 days in our insulated garage, because the outside temp was nearly ideal thru that stretch. Leaving the hide on thru the aging process helps insulate the meat against temperature extremes and keeps it from drying out too much.

I pulled the tenderloins from that 3.5 year old buck, the day that it was killed, and put them in a ziplock bag in a newer fridge in the house for 6 days  (photos #118 &119).  Those are located on the  inside of the carcass and are totally unprotected by the hide.  They definitely would have dried up thru that 9 day aging process.  They practically melted in my mouth after frying them up in olive oil. 

18648010-DBEB-4BA2-8416-505845FDD398.jpeg

84AD0A8E-7E77-4568-9433-BB7F5BC4FBC6.jpeg

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I think the value of whitetail deer meat, compared to antlers, would go way up if more hunters figured that “aging” thing out.   It always amazes me that some folks here, including one supposedly educated chef, do not seem to understand that venison is red meat and subject to rigor mortis, just like beef.

Many of them are eating their deer meat, right near the stage of maximum toughness, because of that.   Inadequate temperature control, during the aging process, is a lame excuse.  How hard is it to find an old refrigerator ?

Thats mine (probably from the 1950’s in the background).  I didn’t need it on that particular buck, which hung hide-on for 9 days in our insulated garage, because the outside temp was nearly ideal thru that stretch. Leaving the hide on thru the aging process helps insulate the meat against temperature extremes and keeps it from drying out too much.

I pulled the tenderloins from that 3.5 year old buck, the day that it was killed, and put them in a ziplock bag in a newer fridge in the house for 6 days  (photos #118 &119).  Those are located on the  inside of the carcass and are totally unprotected by the hide.  They definitely would have dried up thru that 9 day aging process.  They practically melted in my mouth after frying them up in olive oil. 

18648010-DBEB-4BA2-8416-505845FDD398.jpeg

84AD0A8E-7E77-4568-9433-BB7F5BC4FBC6.jpeg

Did you scrape the fat off the buck or was he that lean?