What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

40 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Isn’t the red circle what I would call a “fake tenderloin” from the hind quarter. …eye of round I think it’s technically called …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.  I do cut those out and label them as eye of the round.  But red circle came from inside the chest cavity, along the spine toward the front of the deer.  The other larger cuts came from further back along the spine - the tenderloins. 

Green and red circles… both cuts of meat.  Both called tenderloins?  And the one I cooked up came from the red area (of a different deer)
F5801D98-ADBD-4260-A042-042BF92A0E36.thumb.jpeg.8cdc12e50171f729edf148b61706ab08.jpeg

I have never heard of or seen this front red circle… it looks like you are just cutting out the head of your back straps from the inside

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chef said:

I have never heard of or seen this front red circle… it looks like you are just cutting out the head of your back straps from the inside

I don’t know man… check it out next time.  Either way… that’s the cut of meat I was talking about.  Pretty good if you cut it out right away.  

Interesting-is that accessible from the inside? I know when cleaning up a backstrap I always struggle with where it ends at the “tail” and end up with a “prime” grand pile but still don’t see how that is accessed from inside

I don’t know man… check it out next time.  Either way… that’s the cut of meat I was talking about.  Pretty good if you cut it out right away.  

Now I can’t wait to butcher a deer again as I also have never heard of or seen the front red circle. I hope I haven’t been missing out all these years.

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Now I can’t wait to butcher a deer again as I also have never heard of or seen the front red circle. I hope I haven’t been missing out all these years.

Like anything else… the bigger the deer the bigger the cut of meat.  But as long as it’s not damaged or dried out… it’s edible. 

B46935FD-3065-4D84-A55B-2F0801B58F82.jpeg

Interesting-is that accessible from the inside? I know when cleaning up a backstrap I always struggle with where it ends at the “tail” and end up with a “prime” grand pile but still don’t see how that is accessed from inside

It is not no but look at his picture the rib cage is split along the spine on the inside… looks like he’s just cutting into backstrap

cedfd14f862cf849c85a62c24b1b0642.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That is interesting.   I don't think I have ever taken that piece of meat of the 40-50 deer I have butchered.   Learning something new!

Just think... if you threw them all into a bag in the freezer you'd have a decent meal.