What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

When I cook with beer, it is usually a dark beer.  Iv’e used amber colored beer for dipping fish, but not for a long roast cook.  Not sure how it would be, but dark beer works great! 
Hard ciders are pretty good to for pulled pork or a venison roast.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Otto said:

When I cook with beer, it is usually a dark beer.  Iv’e used amber colored beer for dipping fish, but not for a long roast cook.  Not sure how it would be, but dark beer works great! 

The Spring Bock is the darkest I have.  Maybe, I will bring a Negra home, when we visit the in-laws, over Easter.  That way, I can try a one to one comparison, changing just one variable.

This guy had a long neck.  The shot was far back, and no “finisher” was required, so there was no damage on it.  I made two decent-sized neck roasts from him:

87228E51-99CB-4C33-A767-4EF9360D447B.thumb.jpeg.ce1a36921721557b63dbb711a7291ad5.jpeg

ABE9275F-95A8-4FE5-939F-6FE94C8A82B6.thumb.jpeg.adf67633e8e8e742fa8b4ad666481e41.jpeg

The neck roasts have become one of my favorite cuts.  I rank them just below the backstraps.  If I need any more “finishers”,  they will be to the head, on an antlerless deer, or center-lung on a buck (so I don’t mess up the euro).  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

First time making sausages/broccoli/rabe….
sausage(cheese/parsley) broccoli rabe, olive oil, sliced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and grated cheeeeeeeeeese
24E7FEE2-0FB5-4493-88FE-1A07715D261F.thumb.jpeg.b12cef01c21df55001947a95b003d649.jpeg

Broccoli rabe is either really great or really bad!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Button buck neck roast in crockpot with a Genny Spring Bock.  It was very good.   There’s two neck roasts left in the freezer from my 9-pointer, but no more Spring Bock in the beer fridge.  I’ll have to try one with a Ruby Red Kolsh next time.  The gravy turned out a natural brown color this time:

B4CA11E6-5961-4043-BC8F-23BB3894372A.thumb.jpeg.6823fa8c886fb55681e2e91476c21919.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Backstraps are in the sous vide for 3 hours. First try with the sous vide. Will throw in a hot cast iron to sear afterwards. 29f3f545e93365391b6844942137edd7.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

How did this turn out?  I've had a sous vide for a while and haven't used it yet.  Was planning to do backstraps the same way on opening weekend of turkey.

9 minutes ago, virgil said:

How did this turn out?  I've had a sous vide for a while and haven't used it yet.  Was planning to do backstraps the same way on opening weekend of turkey.

it was good. But i have to say it really wasnt much more tender than just searing it in a hot cast iron pan the usual way.  But this did make it harder to overcook one.  It was delicious but so far i am not sold on 3+ hours of cooking for the difference.  if your used to cooking steaks and are able to judge them pretty well i dunno if its worth it.  More things to try in it yet.  Gonna try some chops and hopefully some duck breasts this fall. But not unlike the air fryer, im not sold thats its that nuch better of a way to cook things. 

• Like 1