What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

it was good. But i have to say it really wasnt much more tender than just searing it in a hot cast iron pan the usual way.  But this did make it harder to overcook one.  It was delicious but so far i am not sold on 3+ hours of cooking for the difference.  if your used to cooking steaks and are able to judge them pretty well i dunno if its worth it.  More things to try in it yet.  Gonna try some chops and hopefully some duck breasts this fall. But not unlike the air fryer, im not sold thats its that nuch better of a way to cook things. 

So it’s more about the perfect even doneness throughout. Next time make a compound butter and put it in the vacuum sealed bag with the meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So it’s more about the perfect even doneness throughout. Next time make a compound butter and put it in the vacuum sealed bag with the meat

I used a couple of shots of teriyaki, a spoonful of bacon fat and some salt and pepper. But I will def try that.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

We had our kids favorite tonight, venison tacos.  This is the first grind we have had from last year’s wmu 9F 9-point.  I was aching to try it, so I gave away our last few packs of wmu 6c doe grind.  That was good, but this is a smidge better.  It must be the corn diet that makes the difference. 
7A1934CE-859C-4AFE-AC55-F32B874423E0.thumb.jpeg.63e1a72f4e5c7da6ec3b236c1cb589ef.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

We had our kids favorite tonight, venison tacos.  This is the first grind we have had from last year’s wmu 9F 9-point.  I was aching to try it, so I gave away our last few packs of wmu 6c doe grind.  That was good, but this is a smidge better.  It must be the corn diet that makes the difference. 
7A1934CE-859C-4AFE-AC55-F32B874423E0.thumb.jpeg.63e1a72f4e5c7da6ec3b236c1cb589ef.jpeg

Do it all the time with the kids. It's great!

f2b30644b10c4916ffbe1c2ab3cab7a1.jpg
Smoked sausage for boils…pork butt…sundried tomato and mozzarella (not for smoker)

You got right after it making the sun dried tomato. How was it?
And the sausage you smoked- how long and what temp? Do you add cure or just give it some smoke then cook fully later?

You got right after it making the sun dried tomato. How was it?
And the sausage you smoked- how long and what temp? Do you add cure or just give it some smoke then cook fully later?

Sundried came great. I thankfully ran outbid casing on the feeder so had a nice patty for a post-stuffing snack.

The smoked went all day with pecan wood smoke (4 hours of smoke) at 165 until internal temps hit 152….7 hours total. We use these for beer boils. Simmer potatoes, corn cobs, carrots and onions in beer with sausage.

• Thanks 1

End-o-Backstrap with asparagus and beans and rice. Some time ago I asked about aging venison and as usual got many great answers like hanging when below 40 degrees, placing in an old frig that does not dehydrate etc. Then someone said: "or you can age in the frig after defrosting". I have had great luck with that method, this strip of strap had nice aged color  about a half inch in (couple weeks in frig still wrapped in clear wrap and freezer paper as I do when processing) and super tender even given the cut.

20220413_171613[1].jpg

• Like 3

I didn't think to take any pictures but we just finished our fishing club/camp get together. Elk burgers, elk steak, venison tenderloin, crappie and bass, (nothing from our actual camp in Quebec , we havn't been in 2 years)... I cannot hardly bend over and untie my shoes ..;)

• Like 4