What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

They were fake box-push pierogies, Mrs. T's were on sale, a few weeks back.

These were Sour cream, and chive potato filled.

I have never had real pierogies, so these are always good.  A friend is polish, and he gets real pierogies from PA, in this mom & pop pierogie shop. One of these days I need to throw him some money, and have him  bring me back some.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

They were fake box-push pierogies, Mrs. T's were on sale, a few weeks back.

These were Sour cream, and chive potato filled.

I have never had real pierogies, so these are always good.  A friend is polish, and he gets real pierogies from PA, in this mom & pop pierogie shop. One of these days I need to throw him some money, and have him  bring me back some.

I have pierogies once s year. Christmas Eve. My SIL made hundreds of them again.  With enough sour cream they’re ok. My wife bribed my mom ( 91) to try one. She did , earned a dollar and liked it lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I have pierogies once s year. Christmas Eve. My SIL made hundreds of them again.  With enough sour cream they’re ok. My wife bribed my mom ( 91) to try one. She did , earned a dollar and liked it lol. 

Am I missing something? Is it the texture that the part you're not keen on? Basing this on the sour cream comment...

I make the crispy, either by using a pinch of olivd oil, or the grease from kielbasa. 

Again, never had authentic pierogies,  so maybe the differences are extreme lol.

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Am I missing something? Is it the texture that the part you're not keen on? Basing this on the sour cream comment...

I make the crispy, either by using a pinch of olivd oil, or the grease from kielbasa. 

Again, never had authentic pierogies,  so maybe the differences are extreme lol.

Just no flavor to them 

Went down to Newark today to the iron bound... loaded up on Portuguese sausages and cheese.... gotta love that blood sausage 52cef63dd609791dd087f848f55bf9c0.jpg&key=a1b7472c3bc5130ce1ef2a095c8aee5fcb954e58358c9a88376dfcf762615100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell of a spread there chef but whats with the red fox skivvies on the dinner table?

Hell of a spread there chef but whats with the red fox skivvies on the dinner table?

Not a dinner table that’s the island in my kitchen and that is my sons blanket next to his car seat lol

4 hours ago, Bionic said:

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Just no flavor to them 

I started making my own pierogi about a year ago. The first time I made the dough, but used easy make mashed potatoes. Now, I will use leftover mashed potatoes I made and make the dough. The trick is to season the flour, and not just use basic mashed potatoes. You have to season the flour before making the dough with w/e spices you like, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and cracked black pepper work well. Season the potatoes as well.

You have to boil them FIRST, and then fry them with some EVO. 

If anyone would a recipe for the ones most liked in my house let me know and I will post it. It's potato and onion.

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I'll bite. Recipe please, Rob... My wife's family is Polish and make perogies. I don't think they've ever seasoned the dough. Your recipe sounds great.

Make the potatoes, when mashing add spices of your choosing. Saute an onion with a med dice. Mix the onion and potatoes and put in the fridge for now. Prep the dough. Mix the flour with some salt pepper and w/e other spices you prefer, mix well and knead to get a proper consistency. Set the dough aside. Melt some butter.

Put out some parchment paper, wax paper, or tin foil as a last resort, spray it with EVO to keep the dough from sticking.

Toss some flour on your prep surface.

Roll out the dough, and use w/e you have to cut circles from the dough. I recommend something at least 6" for the cut. Make your holders. Set them on w/e paper you used. Get the potatoes from the fridge and start filling the dough, using the melted butter to seal the edge. Place back on the paper.

Drop in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, then set them on some new paper with new EVO. Once you have them all boiled, heat a pan to med heat with some EVO. Fry the pierogi to get a nice brown on both sides, usually about 2 minutes, and serve with w/e sauce you like. 

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1