What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

Nice touch puting a gun in  the picture 

Lol I honestly didn’t even think about it. Wife and I ate on the couch tonight. Kid was asleep i took my pants off to be comfortable and that’s where it wound up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Lol I honestly didn’t even think about it. Wife and I ate on the couch tonight. Kid was asleep i took my pants off to be comfortable and that’s where it wound up lol

So it wasn't the only "gun" exposed.

Backstrap from the 7pt with roasted fingerling potatoes and grilled asparagus
f22ec52ee6878f445a1e00528644a77d.jpg&key=35f0caa13501021b261a4c8094545c10d9111b25cc9076f4a2e327a82e63f5f8f8423a2fc4cba606084e1590b92bcf59.jpg&key=07b655032a6f3dc38c2076635200ae4b17430e197f1689680e86da699d0259d0

Wow. That asparagus looks amazing! Oh yeah....the tenderloin(or backstraps- whatever you call them) look decent too. You should be a chef!

Wow. That asparagus looks amazing! Oh yeah....the tenderloin(or backstraps- whatever you call them) look decent too. You should be a chef!

Thanks man, I used to be. No desire to live that life any more! Although maybe I’ll start a Journal on here about wild game cooking

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Thanks man, I used to be. No desire to live that life any more! Although maybe I’ll start a Journal on here about wild game cooking

i'm not a chef. been working on different recipes and acquiring others.  the typical venison cook books floating around typical suck. all these sacrilegious camp recipes that tell you ridiculous things like boil steaks forever and throw in coffee grounds or add other meat to mask gaminess and make it taste like something else.

i'm not a chef. been working on different recipes and acquiring others.  the typical venison cook books floating around typical suck. all these sacrilegious camp recipes that tell you ridiculous things like boil steaks forever and throw in coffee grounds or add other meat to mask gaminess and make it taste like something else.

Yea last nights blackstrap was marinated in ponzu soy sauce lime juice, Korean hot bean paste and olive oil I kept it mild so you can still taste the meat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Moose-Techniques-Antelope-Antlered/dp/099694480X

Awesome book, great recipes - not one of them suggests using a can of cream of mushroom soup. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I'm with ya on that 16+hours a day 6 days a week.I for 1 would like new ideas/ways of cooking wildgame.

Can someone please give a good tip for cooking pheasant. 40 yrs later I still can never tenderize it enough to be less than challenging to eat other than in a sauce or stew. I want to grill or pan sear it but cannot get it right. I don’t want to have yo marinate it to death or add too much junk. 

2 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Can someone please give a good tip for cooking pheasant. 40 yrs later I still can never tenderize it enough to be less than challenging to eat other than in a sauce or stew. I want to grill or pan sear it but cannot get it right. I don’t want to have yo marinate it to death or add too much junk. 

Lightly marinate it and cut into small strips.  Use in a stir fry.  

I have also marinated them in a buffalo hot sauce marinade, then grilled them on a skewer over hot coals.  Serve with a blue cheese dip.  

You can also pound them out and that helps, just be careful not to over cook.  Sautéed in butter after an egg dip, seasoned flour dip.....use pan for making a gravy after.  

• Like 1

Smoked 3 boneless chicken breasts with a light mayo coating so not dry. Apple chips. Diced up into small pieces Littke maple syrup x hot bbq sauce and put one in each scoop chip , pinch of shredded cheddar , in oven at 350 for a bit , each one got few drips of mighty taco sauce and then little thwack of sour cream. Labor intensive but great cfa021e6e785f13499f917df8f41902c.jpg0e9bd99088813d7c670edfe5872b1f1e.jpg1daa10b809e6e64725beab2c95c1d172.jpg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

I've never had tender pheasant. Other than the canned stuff that comes from "god  knows where'. They're a tough bird in every way. Respect that, or leave them alone.