What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

Glad you tried it first....look at it all the time and just wonder.
How about that fancy looking joint further south on Transit, NEAT?   Been there, any review you'd like to share?

I haven’t been there yet, it looks cool though. The Oak Stave in between is really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

44 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Tried something new tonight. I left the flanks whole off of my opening day buck. Had grilled venison flank steak tonight with roasted potatoes and eggplant parm
f4a7b56d6a12ee71d3ece50b23e7ca2b.jpg
7e4c9ab58e4bc122bcb3989ce60eac81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most. Be hard to diet when you can cook that good :) that looks awesome 

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Took daughter to Moonies Onion petals and siracha ranch dipping sauce. Lobster Mac n cheese. $14 for about 8 pounds of goodness. Barely made a dent.  0a576b274ab2a6a1321ef56ebbaee12e.jpg

Love that stuff!

On 1/2/2019 at 8:32 PM, chefhunter86 said:

It was very good but tougher then what a beef flank would be. 

Speaking from experience, the women would like it a lot better if it was tender.  The best way to do that, is age it (like is done with beef) prior to processing and freezing.  Red meat is red meat, and it is all subject to rigor mortis.   That starts forming immediately after death.   If you process and freeze before that breaks down, then the meat (especially the lesser cuts and/or older deer) will be tough.  If you can find an old refrigerator and tear out the shelves,  that works ok for aging skinned venison quarters.  If you get the right temps (like we had opening week last season), aging them with the hides on in an insulated garage works even better.   The hide insulates and keeps the meat from drying out.   

If you don't like aging the deer, it is best to just kill fawns, because they are the only ones that are tender without aging.   A 1-1/2 year old should hang one week at 33-43 F, a 2-1/2 year old about 10 days, and older deer, about two weeks (not that I have killed many of those).  Another good option on those tough, un-aged cuts is using a crock-pot to cook them, or thawing and canning them.   My buddy did that with an 8-1/2 year old, un-aged moose and that made those almost un-chewable roasts delicious and very tender.   

Speaking from experience, the women would like it a lot better if it was tender.  The best way to do that, is age it (like is done with beef) prior to processing and freezing.  Red meat is red meat, and it is all subject to rigor mortis.   That starts forming immediately after death.   If you process and freeze before that breaks down, then the meat (especially the lesser cuts and/or older deer) will be tough.  If you can find an old refrigerator and tear out the shelves,  that works ok for aging skinned venison quarters.  If you get the right temps (like we had opening week last season), aging them with the hides on in an insulated garage works even better.   The hide insulates and keeps the meat from drying out.   

If you don't like aging the deer, it is best to just kill fawns, because they are the only ones that are tender without aging.   A 1-1/2 year old should hang one week at 33-43 F, a 2-1/2 year old about 10 days, and older deer, about two weeks (not that I have killed many of those).  Another good option on those tough, un-aged cuts is using a crock-pot to cook them, or thawing and canning them.   My buddy did that with an 8-1/2 year old, un-aged moose and that made those almost un-chewable roasts delicious and very tender.   

Dude you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, every cut on the deer that was supposed to be tender was. You also do not have to age it at all before butchering. All beef you buy in any grocery store is generally within 1 week from date of kill by the time it hits the shelf... also I vacuum seal all my venison. I defrost in the package a few days in advance and wet age it.... trust me pal when it comes to food and how to process, handle or cook the meat you will loose any argument you have with me.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 4:45 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Took daughter to Moonies Onion petals and siracha ranch dipping sauce. Lobster Mac n cheese. $14 for about 8 pounds of goodness. Barely made a dent. f60a8d63d1e5f9deb1f2094bc421a8f6.jpg0a576b274ab2a6a1321ef56ebbaee12e.jpg

Sweet baby Jesus that lobster mac looks amazing! 

• Like 1