What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

My wife made doe fawn lasagna for dinner.   It was very tasty.   The kids liked it so much that they ate every last bit of it.  Unfortunately, that means no leftovers for the weekend.  There are just 5 or 6 packs of fawn grind left in the freezer.  When they are gone, we will have to start on the grind from older deer (2-1/2 and 3-1/2 year old bucks).  I always like to eat the best first, in case our 40 year old freezer takes a dump.  

We still have a few button buck and doe fawn roasts and a couple packs of backstrap.  I am saving those for "special occasions".   I am really looking forward to a crock-pot, bone-in button-buck neck roast.   I heard they are excellent, but have yet to try one myself.         

• Like 1

My wife made doe fawn lasagna for dinner.   It was very tasty.   The kids liked it so much that they ate every last bit of it.  Unfortunately, that means no leftovers for the weekend.  There are just 5 or 6 packs of fawn grind left in the freezer.  When they are gone, we will have to start on the grind from older deer (2-1/2 and 3-1/2 year old bucks).  I always like to eat the best first, in case our 40 year old freezer takes a dump.  
We still have a few button buck and doe fawn roasts and a couple packs of backstrap.  I am saving those for "special occasions".   I am really looking forward to a crock-pot, bone-in button-buck neck roast.   I heard they are excellent, but have yet to try one myself.         

Ever mix venison from 2 different deer in same meal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ever mix venison from 2 different deer in same meal?

Only pickled hearts. In fact, my younger daughter and I enjoyed a mix of that as our appetizers tonight, while we were waiting for momma to bake the lasagna.    Currently, there is an half-filled quart jar with a mix of button buck and 3.5 year buck hearts in the fridge.   So technically, tonight's dinner came from (3) different deer.   My wife pickled those last weekend, along with a beef tongue, which filled another quart jar.   It gets a little sweeter, the longer it is in the jar, but we usually eat it within 2 weeks.    I like the tongues a little better, but deer tongues are too small to mess with.   The beef tongue was eaten within 2 days.   My all time favorite wild game is pickled moose tongue, which are about the same size as that from a finished steer.           

• Like 1

Seared venison steaks with local blue cheese, asparagus with bacon salad and a baked potato. I’m at camp and realized I didn’t have butter in the fridge so I poured bacon grease on the potato

c1b9e3921bf2746c119d71aa8a855e02.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Seared venison steaks with local blue cheese, asparagus with bacon salad and a baked potato. I’m at camp and realized I didn’t have butter in the fridge so I poured bacon grease on the potato

c1b9e3921bf2746c119d71aa8a855e02.jpg

Reminds me of my PA family 

• Like 1