What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

14 hours ago, Belo said:

Made some liver mousse for the first time. Used a recipe from the meateater fish and game cookbook... and I guess if I didn't have anything else to eat haha. It wasn't terrible and it wasn't good. There's an aftertaste that doesn't seem to go away.

I'm going to try liver and onions next and then this organ stays in the woods.

IMG_0134.thumb.jpeg.2465ce45c0ccb98b33941b9dfda5cf65.jpeg

My dad is a bit of a liver fan.  I gave my first deer's liver to my dad and he told me it was horrible as far as livers go.  Because of that, I never touch deer liver and I also love liver.  I made pate with chicken liver and paprika a couple of times and it's awesome.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:20 AM, johnplav said:

Fresh liver sliced thin, dusted with flour, then sautéed with onions is good.  Throw those 2 on a sandwich with bacon and it’s great.  At the end of the day it’s still liver, so it will have that metallic taste that turns a lot of people off. 

that sounds worth a try. I'd like to make use of it if I can.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, Farflung said:

johnplav had the magic word in his response. That is "fresh". Venison (and other liver) is great fresh (like the same day), o.k. the next day, and so-so on the third day. Makes great dog food after that. My wife makes venison liver "jerky" for the dogs is it does not get quickly  cooked or if it has liver flukes. We have a lot of flukes in Boonville area.

This was 3 days old but not frozen (as I've heard that's a no-no), so good to know. I've also heard that liver is better in younger animals and this one was at least 3.5. It wont go to waste though, my golden seems to love it!

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How was it being that old? Looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly, you wouldn’t know.  I bet its 4 yrs old, at minimum 3, that I am positive of.  It was in tightly wrapped freezer paper direct from the processor, zero freezer burn, but the very outside was starting to slightly turn gray.  I used course sea salt, fresh coarse black pepper, and granulated garlic.  Medium-ish cooked, very good.  No way I could have wasted the meat.  Jenn loved it too.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

What's the process? Mine never looks that good

Quarter inch of oil in a cast iron medium heat three minutes or so each side. Pound the steak thin put them in a milk/egg wash then press into flour. Let them sit 5 minutes and press into the flour one more time then fry them.

• Like 2

Quarter inch of oil in a cast iron medium heat three minutes or so each side. Pound the steak thin put them in a milk/egg wash then press into flour. Let them sit 5 minutes and press into the flour one more time then fry them.

I think my problem is I never let the oil get hot enough