What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

You guys are killing it with the Sunday dinner posts! :good:

I polished off a boatload of sushi rolls for lunch and might just skip dinner and go right to dessert and beer. :D

Edited by Jdubs

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

This is what happens when I watch 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives'! :taunt:

I've actually been to 1 place they have had on the show.  Its was a couple years ago, and I can remember the name of the place.  I know it was in Stockbridge MA.  Or maybe that was Man, fire, food.???

I'm a BBQ, smoker connoisseur.  I really enjoy the smoking of foods. Particularly whole hog. Enjoy the feedback I get from clients.  This is the last one I did last fall.  Few booked for the last part of this summer. One client wants a 175# er.,..  thats going to be a tight fit.  Lol

IMG_20170909_124105483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170909_162201843.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've actually been to 1 place they have had on the show.  Its was a couple years ago, and I can remember the name of the place.  I know it was in Stockbridge MA.  Or maybe that was Man, fire, food.???

I'm a BBQ, smoker connoisseur.  I really enjoy the smoking of foods. Particularly whole hog. Enjoy the feedback I get from clients.  This is the last one I did last fall.  Few booked for the last part of this summer. One client wants a 175# er.,..  thats going to be a tight fit.  Lol

IMG_20170909_124105483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170909_162201843.jpg

That looks very tasty!!

What was the place in Stockbridge? I literally just drove through there yesterday.

12 hours ago, Jdubs said:

That looks very tasty!!

What was the place in Stockbridge? I literally just drove through there yesterday.

Can't remember.  IIRC, it was featured on man fire food. 

How do you prepare the octopus? I’ve tried a couple times with less than stellar results. Fell in love with grilled octopus in Greece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late posts-chasing mushrooms, turkeys and baseballs this weekend with little service.

I follow a process (more than a recipe) from an old Italian Grandma:
Boil a large pot of water. Dunk and remove octopus 3 times then leave it boil for 25 minutes-remove from heat but leave in water for an hour.

Cut to pieces to grill(quarter it or so) coat with extra virgin olive oil. Grill on high (HIGH) heat for 3-4 minute per side. Cut to sizes you want to serve- Throw hot octopus right into a mixture of EVOO, juice of lemon, finely chopped cloves of garlic, a sprinkle of crushed red pepper if you chose (which you should!), salt & fresh ground(that’s a must) pepper.

Serve hot (or cold but better hot) over and arugula salad tossed with the same oil/lemon mixture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Sorry for the late posts-chasing mushrooms, turkeys and baseballs this weekend with little service.

I follow a process (more than a recipe) from an old Italian Grandma:
Boil a large pot of water. Dunk and remove octopus 3 times then leave it boil for 25 minutes-remove from heat but leave in water for an hour.

Cut to pieces to grill(quarter it or so) coat with extra virgin olive oil. Grill on high (HIGH) heat for 3-4 minute per side. Cut to sizes you want to serve- Throw hot octopus right into a mixture of EVOO, juice of lemon, finely chopped cloves of garlic, a sprinkle of crushed red pepper if you chose (which you should!), salt & fresh ground(that’s a must) pepper.

Serve hot (or cold but better hot) over and arugula salad tossed with the same oil/lemon mixture.

Thank you! Can I ask what you are doing when you dunk and remove it 3 times? Changing the water?

Beer and an omelette after fishing.   

Also a little sample of walleye.  Cheeks!

When I used to catch and fish a lot more I would keep putting them away til I had a good size container frozen.  They are like a scallop.  Would sauté them in butter, garlic and pepper and put over angel hair for a seafood pasta.  Excellent.  

rps20180521_133100.jpg

rps20180521_133119.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you! Can I ask what you are doing when you dunk and remove it 3 times? Changing the water?

What I am doing when I dunk it three times is blindly listening to a wise woman who could make bluefish edible! I have no idea why though- do not change the water- just dunk, remove, dunk remove, dunk remove; dunk and leave....makes no sense to me either but comes right every time!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

What I am doing when I dunk it three times is blindly listening to a wise woman who could make bluefish edible! I have no idea why though- do not change the water- just dunk, remove, dunk remove, dunk remove; dunk and leave....makes no sense to me either but comes right every time!

I would guess it is a religious superstition to “extract the devil” from it by dunking three times.  Father, Son, Holy Ghost.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

It breaks it down kinda tenderizes it.Stay away from the Tailand octopus for some reason it never cooks as good as the Portuguese or Mediterranean octopus.

Shrimp "tacos".

Shrimp has minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, kosher salt, and enough olive oil just to marinade the shrimp.

Then I made an avocado/tomato "salsa".  Chopped avocado,  and chopped tomato, 50/50 mixture,  then added a good fresh squeeze of lime, salt, and pepper, and chopped cilantro.

Then I took sour cream, and added lime juice, and cilantro.  Mixed the sour cream up and topped the shrimp, and avocado "salsa".

Then I used sun dried tomato, and basil wraps, but I put just the wraps under the broiler,  to give them a crispy chewiness.

Something different, and we really enjoyed it.

37693.jpeg

20180521_202636.jpg

• Like 7

Shrimp "tacos".
Shrimp has minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, kosher salt, and enough olive oil just to marinade the shrimp.
Then I made an avocado/tomato "salsa".  Chopped avocado,  and chopped tomato, 50/50 mixture,  then added a good fresh squeeze of lime, salt, and pepper, and chopped cilantro.
Then I took sour cream, and added lime juice, and cilantro.  Mixed the sour cream up and topped the shrimp, and avocado "salsa".
Then I used sun dried tomato, and basil wraps, but I put just the wraps under the broiler,  to give them a crispy chewiness.
Something different, and we really enjoyed it.
37693.thumb.jpeg.9dec7d2090b909eb6a24e9d9b58e0f9b.jpeg
20180521_202636.thumb.jpg.160e34178359fda73a3afb1a77a71ebb.jpg

Looks great and creative! I like how you called it a “taco” in quotes. Clearly it was not a regular taco (no lettuce) but was a tasty imposter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Looks great and creative! I like how you called it a “taco” in quotes. Clearly it was not a regular taco (no lettuce) but was a tasty imposter!

Thanks! I was treading lightly as well with the T word. xD

• Like 1